VisionTek ATI Radeon X1600XT 512mb AGP...Information Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealsComp

My brother-in-law likes flashy things and now he has his eye on the VisionTek ATI Radeon X1600XT 512mb AGP graphics card, but he is having trouble finding actual user reviews for the card. So he asked me if I could look to see what I could find out. I said okay.

Starting with VistionTek's webpage I looked on their forum and while not finding anything specific to the X1600XT I did see that their 1300 series (along with some other models) was riddled with problems. So I looked further. I still as yet have not found anything X1600XT specific, so I turn to you!

Is anyone using this card? Know someone using this card? or Have any information about actual use of the card?, please respond!! I want to know what you think!

Thanks in advance..

If he wants flashy things, tell him to stay away from that card. It`s easily outperformed by a X800-X850 card.

Also, some Radeons X1600 have the "frezzing" problem when any 3d app is loaded. Just google for "radeon X1600 freezing problem" and you`ll find some bad things about the card.

NealsComp: I happen to own a VisionTek X1600XT. In my opinion, it rocks! It's a huge upgrade from my old 9800 Pro. I'm not sure what else you are considering, but I believe that this card is pretty awesome and should be highly considered. As for freezing problems, I haven't had any personally. I did modify the search and found lots of results with pretty much any video card I put in the search, so I don't believe that any of it is really hardware specific (at least not to the cards)

Examples of use:
I play FEAR at almost max settings with smooth gameplay. I did try all the way up to max, but the display was a little bit slow. I could have played that way, but decided to go for a smoother play by turning the settings down slightly.
I play Need For Speed Most Wanted Black Edition at max settings with no problems. (1280x1024 for my LCD)
I also play Unreal Tournament 2004 (I know it's older, but it's a great game and I can't wait for the new one to come out) at max. Again, no problems.

Well, you asked for my opinion, and there you go. I hope you enjoy whatever card you get.

System Specs:
AMD socket AM2 Athalon X2 4400+
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
VisionTek Radeon X1600XT 512MB PCI-E
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Antec P180 case

Here's a snipit from HardOCP:
Although the Radeon X1600XT is an underachieving product that should most certainly cost at least $50 US less than it does, ASUS has made their card more convincing. This has again been done by providing a unique and effective cooling solution.
HardOCP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back