Vista 32 and 64 crashes w/multimedia software like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moltar

This is my first post ever on any forum. Ive been in the computer realm for awhile but have been absolutely stumped by this problem. My computer continually crashes with the uses of multimedia software such as slysoft and dvd shrink. Ive installed all the new updates for all of my hardware and am wondering as of what i should do next. ive run windows memory diagnostic and with no avail it came back as no problems. This problem occurs in both 32 and 64 bit operating systems and mainly when i start these dvd ripping programs. I usually get a Memory_Managment BSOD but occasionally get Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been an on going problem for 4-5 months now.

No it is actuyally a computer that i have built myself. Core 2 Quad 2.4, 4 gigs dominator 800, evga 8800 gtx, asus p5n-esli, 1000 watt power supply, 150 gb raptor and 500 gb wd.

I would have preferred that you had just updated your Profile, as now I and any others, will need to check your above message all the time.

This is your motherboard's driver page: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N-E SLI
Obviously confirm all your drivers are updated.

But, I believe this error may be BIOS revision related (regarding your CPU)
Please confirm, that you have the most updated BIOS revision, released 2008/02/20

BIOS updating is very critical, you will need to 100% verify, that this is your motherboard and BIOS file, before flashing.

Recommendation:
Update all drivers and chipsets - test
Update BIOS - confirm M/B - test

Reply back.

I will check bios uodates. Im sorry for the inconvience but i didnt know that you could post system specs like that. They are now updated and you can view them. I have to go to work but I will check for updates and post back tonite. I apologize for the trouble.

The Memory_Management bugcheck is usually related to a RAM problem. What timings are you running the RAM at, and at what voltage?

You can also attach some minidump files. Zip up 5 recent ones form c:\windows\minidump.

Well digging around on my pc i found out that i have a p5n32-e sli and not the originally p5n-e sli. My bios are updated with version 1403 which is most recent. I ran memtest last night for 12 hrs and it turned up nothing so im kind of wondering if that rules out a hardware issue? The ram timings are 4-4-4-12. I had a stick go bad a few months ago but i hace pulled it and am now running on 3 gigs. I have also attatched my 5 most recent minidumps.

Moltar said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been an on going problem for 4-5 months now.
How long did the crashes start after the system was built? Memory testers aren't perfect.

Inside the 5 MiniDumps:

BugCheck 50, {ffffff8a, 0, 94eb4961, 0}
Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : hardware

Probably caused by : tmtdi.sys

BugCheck 1A, {5001, c0801000, 15f3, 0}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

BugCheck D1, {1719, ff, 1, 8627761e}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vsapint.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vsapint.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for tmxpflt.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tmxpflt.sys
Probably caused by : fileinfo.sys

BugCheck 1A, {41287, 205a3c, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe

well the system was built in august and ran fine. my cmos chip went out in october and that took a stick of ram with it. So when i reset the cmos i also reformated the computer and that is when it started. so its been an on going problem since than. so once we know what the minidumps are how do we fix it? i got another bsod when i used slysoft. it ran the first time but the second time (second dvd) it bsod. where do i go from here?

Are you running Trend pc-cillin ?

If so, what version? I know both 2007 and 2008 use lots of memory resource
Whereas 2006 didn't use much at all.

I would suggest removing Trend fully! And installing AVG Free (for the time being)

Yes i am running trend and it is the 2008 version. I thought trend was supposed to have a very small foot print? I will uninstall and give that a try. To be honest i wasnt running trend before so that might be the problem. So is everyone of the minidumps that i posted caused by a differnt problem? This is the one area in OS's where i get confused.

Well this is the thing about MiniDumps, there never exactly this or that.
ie in this case they point to memory corruption (ie your Ram) BUT sometimes it's not exactly the physical ram at fault, but actually a driver accessing the Ram.

Seeming Trend Pc-Cillin 2008 accesses lots of your Ram, this would be the favourite choice, and one driver from Trend is also noted. tmtdi.sys

Now thankfully Trend has an Exit option (from right clicking on the tray icon)
But because of its big system resource, if I had it, I'd probably remove it.

But...

If you still get errors, then you will need to do a memtest (7 Passes) to confirm your Ram is OK.
After that we might even check your Video card memory (or drivers)
And even get as low as the BIOS !

So it's never definate. :(

No, i understand that nothing is every def. on a cpu. I uninstalled Trend and no do you think i should try running the dvd ripping software to see if it worked? or should i do memtest again. i ran it last night and got 11 passes with no errors.

Ok I ran CCleaner and am now running Slysoft software so lets hope this works. In the time being do you know anything about servers? I want to host an FTP for my frat so that we can post our study file online for easier access. I have a Dell Poweredge 2650 server and a Power Vault 2200.

Yes what's the issue.
Setup FTP sharing on your drive? Actually I'd probably use the millions of free servers out there instead.

Well things were running fine until i tried to run Counter-Strike and got another BSOD! Why am I getting all of these? This one was a Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. What does that mean and why this now? Slysoft was running fine up unitil that and than bam another BSOD. I attatched the minidump for you.

Inside the 1 MiniDump:

BugCheck A, {e, 1b, 0, 81ca90ab}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe

Probably caused by your Half Life game trying to access the network and using too much video memory.

Suggest update your Video drivers and possibly network drivers

How does that happen with a 8800 GTX with 768 mb of graphic memory? I can run crysis on high and i cant run counter strike? Ill check to see if there are any updated drivers but i thought i had had them all updated.

Well as you must know, some games work well with some cards and some don't. (Who knows why !!! aren't they just video cards with onboard memory?)

Anyway, update, refit, blow out dust. You name it.

Will do. Slysoft seems to be working now. I hope it stays that way. But back to the server thing, how do you open a port for game servers? Im running windows server 2003. What virus software should I run in place of Trend and Spysweeper? As much as I like AVG I feel that there is better stuff out there. Why do you think that Trend was crashing my computer and what did all the other things in the dump mean? Im sorry for asking so many questions but I just want to know what is going on with my computer.

Server 2003 ! God's sake, now you stepped up a notch.

Well firstly do all the security updates for one.

As for an Antivirus for Server, Hmm, I agree AVG may be a little on the home user side. I'd recommend Kaspersky Internet Security (I really like that one!)

The MiniDumps, I've answered already (that's it!)

The port number
This is a question for Jobeard (as security concerns come to mind)
Please PM him, he's better than me :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back