TechSpot

vista and xp dual boot

By bradthegreat
Feb 16, 2007
  1. first off, if there is a thread about this, point me in the right direction...

I installed Vista on my laptop side by side with XP. It installed great and everything works fine. however, I can't choose which OS to boot into at startup - I have to mark either the XP partition or the Vista partition as active and then it boots right up. How can I add XP to Vista's bootloader? am I asking too much?

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Here is a random article dealing with this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ben/archive/2007/01/31/so-you-want-to-add-xp-to-your-vista-installation.aspx
    Let us know how this works for you or if you find a better method. I have yet to try to dual boot Vista.

3. bradthegreat

bradthegreat TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 104

yeah - I'll give that a shot when I have a chance. thanks :)

4. bradthegreat

bradthegreat TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 104

dang - all that did was delete my Vista boot capabilities. I installed XP first and it still won't give me the dual option. I was able to repair the Vista bootloader so I am back to setting the partitions as active if I want to boot into them...I do not understand why it will not just work!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.