TechSpot

Vista booting problem & this message

By Drdave
Jun 20, 2008
  1. When I turn on my computer, I keep get this message.

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
    Vista Loader 2.1.2

Done!
    fallback 1
    find --set-root /bootmgr
    (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7
    chainloader /bootmgr
    Will boot NTLDR from drive=0x80, partition=0x0(hidden sectors=0x800)

It will not boot past this message, I have to keep turning it off and back on until I finally get a page that gives me a choice of safe mode, normal mode, etc. then it will boot up and run normal.

How can I fix this? I'm running Vista Pro.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

To Repair Vista
    Boot from the Vista disc and choose install
    At the bottom left of the screen you will see a Repair option
    This will repair the master boot record

You may want to backup first, just in case it's a faulty HardDrive, and this was the last thing that it does.

3. Drdave

Drdave TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Thanks for the help,I'll give it a try

4. kimsland

5. Drdave

Drdave TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Again thanks for your help and input.
    After many tries of recycling on and off I can get it to boot up ,but not normally.It will come up with the do you want to boot in safe mode or normal screen.

I find what ever I do it's not consistent.Sometime going into the bios and hit F-10 like I'm saving changes will allow me to boot up but not always.Like I said it may take 30 minutes to hit it just right to get it to boot in some fashion.

At first it when this started to give me problems about a month ago it would take maybe a couple of tries and then it would boot normal. With each time I try to boot it takes more tries.

For what it's worth I even have a hard time getting the bios curser to move .I can always get into the bios ,I just can't do anything once I get in,and have to reboot.At first I thought the keyboard wasn't working ,but I can always hit Ctrl Alt Delete and that works. I still think it's possessed. Any other thoughts?

6. kimsland

Please run Memtest for at least 7 passes (~4Hrs) for a thorough test of your Ram

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.