TechSpot

Vista, chkdsc utility and corrupt file

By captgene
Jan 19, 2008
  1. Hi all.
    Maybe some can help me with this problem. I am running Vista on Dell laptop. My problem started few weeks ago .I think my wife DL ether a worm or virus.

the problem
    Everytime I open any program on the computer. I small pop up window poops up from the tool bar.

Lets say I start AOL
    The popup will states
    AOL.exe corrupt file .
    The file or directory /program file /google is corrupt and unreadable .Please run the chkdsk Utility.

This pops up everytime I run any program. Otherwise the computer seems fine. I have run and updated Mc Affee it finds no virus or anything.

I try to run chkdsk utility but after I check off "check for errrors" I popup come stating cant run utility since it being used. .It will run on next startup. But nothing happen on next startup.

I have run "regcure" tell me i have 938 error and they want me to buy there program. Can i have this many error ???? something doesnt sound right with 938 errors ??????

Help anyone ????? Suggestion

Otherwise I like Vista just some of my program I use for work took sometime to figure out how to get them to work with this OS system.

thanks in advance Capt Gene

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

please download and run hijackthis from www.majorgeeks.com.
    Copy the files into a new directory c:\orogram files\hijackthis\ and rename the program analyse.exe or crusty.exe. Post the log with your reply and we will have a look at it for you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.