Vista Home Premium, HP Pavilion laptop keyboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone,

first off i just want to say that i am terrible with computers - and unfortunately have a huge problem, my keyboard doesn't work.

as far as i can tell, i am usng an hp pavilion entertainment laptop running on vista. my keyboard says that it's a 'hid keyboard device.'

when i go to my control panel and click on keyboard it says that it is working properly, but in reality it isn't working at all

what happened was this...
i was working on microsoft word last night typing out a document very fast when all of a sudden asi typed out a word correctly -it would appear on the document with three consecutive letters. for exampl if i typed the word 'after' it woul come out on the screen as 'aaafter'

i ignored the problm and kpt on working. however, as i was working i noticed that the light on my 'caps lock' key was on. it didn't matter how many times i presed it, the caps lock key remained on.

i continued working on ms word all night without any other roblems. i went to bed really late and didn't bother turnig my computer off, instead i just closed the screen.

this morning when i tried to log on my mouse on the laptop didn't work so i just plugged in a physical mouse into the computer. next when i tried to type in my log-in password the keyboard would not work at all. i also noticed that the caps lock light is still on.

i clicked on the little blue option box in the left-hand corner and selected the on-sceen keyboard. i ued this to type in my password.

now that i'm on my desktop-i still can't use my keyboard at all and the caps lock key still appears to be on. i ran the systems-restore but it didn't fix anything.

help please

same thing on my vista hp pavilion laptop

Our situation is exactly the same. While on Microsoft word the keys would lag in typing sometimes. After a day or so of this happening I went to sleep leaving Word open and just closed the laptop which I have set to make it hibernate. The next day the touch pad on the laptop and all keyboard keys were not working. I have restarted, and it seems to have problems restarting as well, I end up powering it off to restart. Coincidence or not that we both have hp pavilions and were both using word and left it on when this happened? Did you ever get your problem resolved? Does anyone have any ideas, I am about to restore, though after your restore experience I do not have much hope.

same problem now fixed!

I hope you have fixed your problem without any expense, if not this is something to try, I stumbled on this thread, apparently this is a very common problem with laptops and this guy had the insane EASY answer.

Magic Fix:

Shut down the computer
Unplug the power cord
Take the battery out for a few minutes
Replace the battery and start the computer
Problem fixed
Plug in power cord

Worked for me, hope it works for you

HP laptop keyboard not working

My entire keyboard on my HP Pavillion dv2000 special edition laptop packed up just outside 1 year warranty. I was just about to visit PC World for a dam good arguement when I read the post about disconnecting the battery and then putting it back in. I tried it and it worked. Brilliant. Thanks for the help.

WOww. I remove the battery, and reconnect it and now the keyboard work fine. Thanks for your help.

Lucy Mejia
Cali
Colombia

hi everyone,

first off i just want to say that i am terrible with computers - and unfortunately have a huge problem, my keyboard doesn't work.

as far as i can tell, i am usng an hp pavilion entertainment laptop running on vista. my keyboard says that it's a 'hid keyboard device.'

when i go to my control panel and click on keyboard it says that it is working properly, but in reality it isn't working at all

what happened was this...
i was working on microsoft word last night typing out a document very fast when all of a sudden asi typed out a word correctly -it would appear on the document with three consecutive letters. for exampl if i typed the word 'after' it woul come out on the screen as 'aaafter'

i ignored the problm and kpt on working. however, as i was working i noticed that the light on my 'caps lock' key was on. it didn't matter how many times i presed it, the caps lock key remained on.

i continued working on ms word all night without any other roblems. i went to bed really late and didn't bother turnig my computer off, instead i just closed the screen.

this morning when i tried to log on my mouse on the laptop didn't work so i just plugged in a physical mouse into the computer. next when i tried to type in my log-in password the keyboard would not work at all. i also noticed that the caps lock light is still on.

i clicked on the little blue option box in the left-hand corner and selected the on-sceen keyboard. i ued this to type in my password.

now that i'm on my desktop-i still can't use my keyboard at all and the caps lock key still appears to be on. i ran the systems-restore but it didn't fix anything.

help please

same problem now fixed! (as well)

Hello All -

I have a 2009 Dell Studio 1555 Laptop running on Windows Vista Home Premium.

I came across this thread randomly after my keyboard stopped working out of nowhere: I wasn't using Microsoft Word, I was just playing poker and checking my emails and when I went to reply to an email I realized my keyboard wasn't working at all.

I tried to restart and that didn't work, although it allowed me to use the on-screen keyboard by clicking the blue window at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. So my device manager said everything was fine and I poked around for a bit without finding any solutions. Anyway to make a long story short, the battery trick works... at least it did for me. Just power off your laptop and remove the charger, take out the battery for a bit, and then repower your computer back on. Should be back to normal...

The only reason I even created a profile was to confirm that it works and thank you guys for making it so easy to figure out. Who knows? Maybe I'll stick around... Thanks Again! - Solid

This problem occured to me out of nowhere.
However, I did the battery trick and IT ACTUALLY WORKED.
I had my doubts at the start, but I tried it, and it really does work.
The only reason I made this profile was to tell everyone who has this problem!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back