TechSpot

Vista Service Pack 1

By Starsky303
Apr 1, 2008
  1. Downloaded this last week and surprisingly I actually DID notice a little increase in speed around file transfer, webpage loading and software/games.

I say 'little' increase but still an increase non the less.
    Also my hard drive capacity increased! I have a 300Gb hard drive which had 101Gb free left on it. Now it's got 140Gb free!

What's that all about?

Only thing is, windows now takes a lot longer to boot up once past the login screen. It seems to take ages for my applications to all load up. A slight problem which wasn't present before the service pack.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed the same after installing the pack?

Cheers.

Asus PK5C
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (OC'd to 3.2GHz)
    GeForce 8800GTX XT
    Corsair 4Gb DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator
    300Gb Maxtor
    SB Audigy 2 ZS
    650W Coolermaster PSU
    Windows Vista x64

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I noticed a big increase in network transfer speed, but I can't be certain this was a result of SP1. My old torrent machine (OS X 10.3.9) is no longer being used and I replaced with an XP Machine right around the time I put SP1 on my main, so I don't know if it was the computer switch or SP1.

Other than that I haven't noticed anything. No slower or faster on startup that I can tell.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I noticed a big increase in network performance as well - it was one of the issues that was claimed to be addressed. Didn't notice any slower startup either - but I did notice decompressing zip files was much faster than it used to be. It was pretty painful pre-SP1.

4. adu123

adu123 TS Maniac Posts: 278

Can anyone tell me where can I get the vista service pack 1? thanks

5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Go to Microsoft's site. If you have Vista it should automatically update or you can probably manually update.

6. Starsky303

Starsky303 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

Thanks for your responses. I'd given up on networking my computer with another on a home network due to the complete crap speed but it seems that's been resolved! Let hope Vista continues to iron out these problems eh?

Cheers.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.