Win XP SP3. System hang, crashes and BSODs with various error codes

Headup123

Hi Folks,
I would like some help, advice, direction with some on-going problems with my computer please. I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm stumped.

Built below system some 18 months ago. All good but after about 8 months BSODs, various fixes etc etc failed but found that the MB had a defunct SATA port and posibly damaged by numerous crashes and re-boots.
Re-built 6 months ago with replacement MB and again ok until about a month ago and more BSODs. Discovered faulty stick of RAM, being replaced, re-installed from scratch but still fault after fault etc etc (Grrrr!).

Have read and followed this sub-forum sticky, checked and cleaned, re-seated all components etc etc. Ran Memtset86 v4.0 and found a 2Gb stick of RAM faulty, the other clear of faults. Cleared pagefile, but still had BSODs both without pagefiling and with managed. Please see attached zipped minidumps.

Temps - CPU 28-33 and MB 30-37 max under stress.

Win XP SP3 on:-
Coolermaster CM690 with x3 10cm case.
Corsair 750W TX PSU.
ASUS P5Q Pro P45 775 on initial build and then an ASUS P5Q De-luxe P45 775 (never oc'd).
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz, with Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B (never oc'd).
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator Xtreme. Now running with fault free 2Gb. (I know, only 3.25Gb was used/seen)
2 x Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB.
2 x LG GH22NS40 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive OEM.
Sapphire HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E (never oc'd).
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express.
All in 1 Internal Card Reader Plus One USB2.0 Port Black - 3.5" Bay.
USB KB and mouse.

I have re-formatted the OS partion and re-installed, had problems with that (would posibly indicate hardware problem?)
I think possibly the faulty RAM has damaged MB or other, an u/k fault which has caused re-boots which in turn has damaged the MB, or internet related I.e. router, onboard network interface port.
Event Viewer, System, shows after re-boot, TCPIP and DCOM faults and then nothing to indicate anything before crash/BSOD.

But to be honest I've come to the end....

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice/direction.

Cheers HU123

Attachments

• Mini111910-01.zip
    196.6 KB · Views: 1
You had a number of 0x8E errors and these are almost always caused by hardware and can be a strong indicator of corrupted memory and at least two files specifically cited this as the cause of your crashes. Two things:

1. Does your memory make the Qualified Vendor's List of qualified memory for your Asus board? Go to your motherboard website, find the list and see if it is there. This list, however, is by no means exshaustive.

2. Since Memtest shows no errors (thgough bad RAM has been known to pass on occasion) then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Hi R44,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this RAM is on the ASUS MB QVL and yes it crashed when set on the DRAM MB setting as 'Auto' volts, and set manually at 2.1v.

From your post, and something I didn't realise, until I saw that memory can pass the Memtest AND still be defective!
So I tried 2 x 512Mb sticks, and absolutely stable even after 2hrs. With Adobe CS2, Corel PSP9, Fs9, CFS2, 4x IE8 tabs open, 3 x files open, and not one problem.

My question now is 'the chicken or the egg'?
Was it that both sticks of Corsair RAM were defective (very unlikely).
ASUS MBs (I've fitted the P5Q Pro and De-luxe) gradually over a period of time damage RAM? (very unlikely)
Would under-volting cause this?
As I had the MB set on Auto, which I've seen is standard 1.8v and these sticks, need 2.1v. Would this have gradually damaged the sticks so that's why it took some months for the problem to occur?

I've got a feeling that might be the case or am I just making it fit the problem?

Yours or anyone elses thoughts on this?

Thanks again

Cheers HU123

Your RAM needs to be set at the factory specs. We have seen tons of motherboards setting the voltage to auto but it is different from what the memory is designed for; the RAM needs to run at its factory voltage setting. Even incremental changes makes a difference.

Earlier this year certain Corsair and certain Asus boards were not playing nice at all, each blaming the other.

Is your RAM configured to 4x512?

Set your voltages manually, save and exit.

Hi,
Unfortunately, as I said, I had tried the original 2Gb stick at 2.1v and 2.2v and on 'Auto' volts (which is 1.8v), and all gave an unstable pc and BSODs. Unfortunately already damaged.

My bad, I think what happened was that when I built it originally I left the DRAM voltage on 'Auto' (which is 1.8v), when they need 2.1v. I've seen this possibly causes higher operating temps within the sticks. This then damaged one stick and when removed the under-volting damaged the other. That's why it took months to occur each time.

So too late for the original RAM, Corsair are replacing them. When I have a pair, I will set voltage and RAM timings to what they should have been!

HU123

Thanks for getting back to us. Please give us an update when the new RAM is installed and please let us know the results.

Update and results

Hi R44,
To update you as requested.

I finally sent off and got new replacements from Corsair of both sticks of RAM. Corsair were quick and efficient, no quibbles.

I had already clean installed XP SP3 and had the comp running beautifully with a stand-in pair of 512Mb sticks of RAM. A simple process of then swapping to the replacement sticks of 2 x 2048Mb RAM

I cleaned up the clip-on fan set, and made sure that was working properly.

Fitted the new pair as dual channel, making sure the RAM voltage was at 2.1v from the start(!). Clock cycles were on auto and defaulted to 5-5-5-15, which is correct.

I ran Memtest86 v4, no faults on either stick. Stress tested them and no problems. So we will see.

Of course I have not had any BSODs or odd behavior. PC running beautifully.

Now unless running 4Gb of RAM (3.25Gb being used) with XP causes a problem with the RAM (How could it?), I think the problem(s) are solved.

Major lessons learnt here, that RAM can be damaged by low voltaging, and even though a stick passes a test it still could be faulty.

Many thanks again for your time and advice.

Regards

Excellent! :grinthumb And thanks much for getting back to us. I have 4 gigs running on my second PC (long story) and no adverse affects.

Really glad to see stability has returned.

Back