Vista - Windows has encountered a critical problem and will automatically restart in one minute

ready123

I have a Dell inspiron 1525 and I get the "Windows has encountered a critical problem............" message and then the computer reboots. No time to run anything. The computer even reboots when at the login screen.
I have tried the F8 and get to "Repair Computer" and I get the "other user" screen. I click on this and then type in username and password and get the message "The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted"
I cannot get past ths point to perform scans, etc.
This also happens in safe mode.

I have windows vista premium home edition

I have a Dell inspiron 1525 and I get the "Windows has encountered a critical problem............" message and then the computer reboots. No time to run anything. The computer even reboots when at the login screen.
I have tried the F8 and get to "Repair Computer" and I get the "other user" screen. I click on this and then type in username and password and get the message "The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted"
I cannot get past ths point to perform scans, etc.
This also happens in safe mode.

Did you perhaps make a restore disk? When you first got the computer.

Check for the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit ?

Dave

If you have a restore disk . You can boot it from cd. Then run a system restore or a windows repair.

Computer is running better, no critical error message or reboot.
I am running windows security essentials and the scan is showing the virus Win32/Sirefef.AO, AN, AG,AB
Will this scan take care of this trojan??

Yes TMagic Is right , If these do not remove it all go to the malware and virus forum , This is one virus not to mess with.

I ran windows security essentials and it appears that the virus has been removed. How do I know if it is really gone??

What is the best internet security software around?
I use Eset Nod 32. But the most recommend I hear for free is Microsoft Security Essentails. Never use can not say Much about it. But I am sure some one will add a few more here to help you out.

Back