Inactive VLC + Iminent installs = malware and unwanted ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and I hope someone could help me out.

My friend have an Asus with Win XP and he's totally dumb with using the computer: I've told him he needed to download VLC to see some files I've sent him. Off course, he didn't got it from the official videolan.org website but from a crappy *****ic site (he told me he thinks that is this one, not sure btw).

Installing VLC required also to install the Iminent toolbar which was removed from Firefox later on.

Problem: when surfing the web with Firefox, randomly pages with advertising open up. This was not happening before this install and it was on popup-free website (facebook, google).

If feel guilty for letting him download VLC but... Isn't it obvious that you have to download it from the official source?! Anyway, now I need a solution to fix this problem. Unfortunately, I'm a big Applefag: I can do almost anything on a Mac, I'm also good at coding but... when it comes to Microsoft OS I just don't know where to put my hands on!

I've read about malware scan utilities but not sure which one to stick with. His computer is damn slow: opening a single window in a browser could take 3 minutes. So I think I can't go with random attempts, this is why I posted here: hopefully someone had a similar experience and can help.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

========================================

Is Firefox the only browser being affected?

Hello, thank you very much for your assistance.

I have no idea right now but it might take some days before I can tell you (as the PC is not mine). I'll do my best to answer your question asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back