W7 64bits crashing while watching internet videos

Chupadelpote

Hi, second time searching for help in this forum

Lately I've been getting some random crashes after some time watching flash videos on my browser (the last crash in fact ocurred with a video loading but not playing). Screen goes one color (grey, orange...) or one color with artifacts, sound keeps playing until it loops... only way out force turning off.

Event log reports it as a "kernel power" critical error. Firstly I thought it was a GPU driver issue, cause recently I updated this driver, but rolling back to previous drivers did nothing. I also tried to reinstall flash plug-in (uninstalling whit adobe's tool) in mozilla or using chrome but that didn´t help.

I've recently changed the CPU cooler so I'm a little scared if I could have broke something, GPU seems right in place and everything looks okay. Temps are better than with the previous cooler, GPU temps seems alright also.

Eset Smart Security find nothing in my computer. Last thing I did opened the case and pressed the GPU a little to see if it's bad seated. Now I'll try to see some flash video.

System specs:

MB - Asus P6T SE
CPU - Intel Core i7-920 (no overclock HT on) -> Thermaltake Contact 29 freezer
GPU - Shapphire Radeon 5770 Vapor-X (Currently Catalyst 10.7 installed, tried from 10.11 to 10.7)
RAM - 6gb 3x2 Mushkin Suilverline (had to replace them when i built the system cause one memory was making win go BSOD)
HD - 2x Seagate 7200.12 (two partitions in raid0 and one in raid1)
SO - W7 Home Edition 64bits (Installed in raid0 partition)

I'm spanish so sorry if my english is bad

Update: Watching Event Log seems like 5 kernel power errors ocurred before the cooler installation.

Gonna make a Kaspersky Online pass (Not avaible so I guess I'm not going to do it)

More Info: I have sleep mode configured to start after 1 hour, setting it to never to see if that helps

Your English is fine. :)

Are you getting any Blue Screens?

This sounds like your video card is artifacting which means either you have a heat issue or the card itself is dying. What are your system temperatures like including video card?

Are all fans working?

No Blue screens, just plane black or another color screens.

Heat on GPU is about 30ºC - 34ºC on idle... I've been gaming a little lately without problem...I'll try again. CPU temps are around 20º on two cores and 27º on the other two while idling (I´ve always had those hotter cores) and around 60º for all cores at load (they equal at load).

With flash videos GPU seems to be not working at all (hard acceleration is on), at load never seen it get over 70º, I'll play for a while and check temps. I also tried disabling hardware acceleration in flash videos but keeps crashing.

Edit: Playing for a while (not to much) pushed the GPU between 80 and 100% acording to catalyst, fan satyed at 40% and temp didn't get over 43º

Tonight (thats like 7 or 8 hours at least for me) I'll try watching some videos from diverse web pages... could be some firefox or chrome extension for the web I use to visit, but sounds weird. I'll also try to check if it happens only with full screen cause I've read some problems with that in AMD forums (but there's no solution in there).

Should I update video drivers to 10.11 again?

Do a search on Flash Video issues because if I recall correctly there were some issues with Flash.

Yes they where... and if I recall correctly I had them when I first installed the GPU but that was long time ago, no idea why it would happen again but I'll try... not at my PC right now we'll have to wait.

Thanks a lot... I'll keep updating this

Edit: There are post out there talking abpout a new bios for the shappire 5770 but I found nothing on shappire's web page... sounds strange

Actually there is a BIOS update in Shappire's web page :s

Ok, so BIOS update was to enable 800 stream processors and mine GPU actually haves it, so... no update needed.

PC keeps hanging with flash videos (maximized or minimized) but gaming seems just fine... like an hour of GTA4 didn't push the card over 55ºC with no problems at all.

Re-reinstalling adobe flash did nothing. I'll upload a minidump as soon as I get home.

Did you uninstall all things Flash and then reinstall or did you just update to the latest?

I uninstalled it with the adobe tool (but flash still worked in chrome without reinstalling... I've to try in firefox)

Also I uninstalled GPU drivers and cleaned with driver sweeper and then installed the lastest version.

Seems like it does, but I installed it after the trouble began to see if the problem was firefox

Ok... I guess there's no minidump without blue screen :p

Ok so... everything keeps the same... I guess it's GPU diying but right now I've no acces to another and I need the computer.

Strange things... GTA4 Episodes from liberty city request the flash player... and also one of the two games crash when loading.

I'm still thinking it is the Flash that is the issue (but this is only a guess). Adobe always seems to be having problems with it.

One way to test to see if it is inded your video card that is the problem is to install it in a friend's computer and see if the same issues occur within his system.

By the way, what version of Flash is it?

Right now I'm in another town and all my friends in here have laptops (we're all students) so I have no acces to another tower.

The problem is... right now flash player is not installed just in chrome (built-in) and computer keeps hanging up. Should I try to uninstall chrome also and see if there's any crash?

Adobe's Media Player and FLash CS4 & 5 are installed

My son would be jealous! He is learning CS3 in high school right now but would love to have either 4 or 5. He wants to go for a Graphics Design and Video degree.

Anyway, unistalling Chrome would be another solid diagnostic step, so it would be a good idea to see what happens.

You wouldn't happen to have any older flash versions still on your system would you?

Use Belarc Advisor to determine this.

Hehe, I'm at a ppostproduction master, learning After Effects CS4 (and somne new features from 5) and AVID, it's cool... Flash has always been too hard for me (since macromedia times), men's program :p

God! Belarc Advisor, that was creppy... that tool even knows the color of my underwear. Acording to it no Flash Player installed.

I uninstalled Chrome... what should I do? reinstall Flash or see some videos and strees the gpu with some games to see if a crash ocurrs?

Edit: Weird thing I've just noticed... subtitles appear blue (most like cyan and displaced on top of white letters) in VLC, but they are set to be yellow in preferences. Watching an mp4 so... hardware accelerated.

Lol! That was funny. Thanks for giving me my laugh for today. :grinthumb

Yeah, Belarc is amazing.

I'd first use your GPU especially where you have experienced the issues from before.

Then if nothing happens try reinstalling Flash.

* By the way, if you don't mind me asking, where did you/are you attending school?

I uninstalled Adobe Media Player, have seen a hole .mp4 without problem (it crashed before) now I'm going to get flash player and see if it crashes (v 10.1.102)

Wish me luck :p

There was no luck... watching an online video crashed again (grey screen with vertical lines) but, for watherver reason this time after starting up again... error message and minidump, so I wish that helps.

Firma con problemas (Firm with problems):
Nombre del evento de problema (Event name): BlueScreen
Versión del sistema operativo (SO version): 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Id. de configuración regional (Region config ID): 3082

Información adicional del problema: (Aditional Info)
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8009AF04E0
BCP2: FFFFF880041BBFB8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

C:\Users\Héctor\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38329-0.sysdata.xml

What about that file?

And what about that link: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/97709-blue-screen-win7-bccode-117-a.html

Talks about Asus utiliy... I don't really know nif I had it installed and that talks about an Nvidia gpu also

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 1
Perhaps it isn't the Flash after all. Your error is 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.

The display driver in question that is cited as the probable cause of this crash is the ATI atikmpag.sys

I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave the other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I did that before but I'll give it another try... should I install 10.11 or 10.10e Catalyst... in some places they say 10.10e is actually newer and better (it allows features in my card that 10.11 doesn't and has a new interface)

Try the newer and better first. Then if that doesn't work try the driver that predates both.

Ok! everything looks good now... watching a hole of internet videos now wothout crashing... I already did the clean of the drivers with driver sweeper before and didn't work out but who knows what was the problem.

Thanks again for your help

Excellent! :haha: Glad it is working out and thanks for getting back to us with this information that it is resolved.

What driver version did you intall that is stable?

Ouch... seems it's not stable... I´ve been watching a lot of videos but suddenly it happened again... so I guess it's not solved and it could be a hardware problem.

I installed 10.10e, I can work on anything else... but video meens crash (I've been working for hours with AE before I get the crash).

Kind of lost now...

Back