Walgreens offers an Android tablet for just $100

Emil

If you're unhappy about the high price tag of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, you might be happy to know that Walgreens is selling a Maylong M-150 for $100. It's a 7″ (800×480) tablet with a resistive touchscreen, but it's significantly cheaper for a reason.

The device is running Android 1.6 (there's no telling if it can be upgraded to any of the 2.x versions, but someone will probably try) on a 400MHz CPU (designed by Via, so it's probably more powerful than the clock cycles suggest) and 256MB RAM. Nevertheless, for $100 it's still pretty good: it's got Wi-Fi, speakers, USB ports, a microSD card slot, and even ships with a dongle that provides 10/100. The product page claims it features a full browser, reading app, YouTube, and a video player.

We're not sure what the device looks like, since the posted image appears to be an image of an Apple iPad stretched a little bit, with a screenshot of an operating system pasted in. It even uses the Internet Explorer icon for the browser; Google would not be pleased.

Permalink to story.

Very acceptable for 100$ and stylish too. It fulfills most of the basic needs. Good work and pricing

You know, I would actually drop a c-note to get a knockoff that so stylishly threw all those design & software elements together willy-nilly. Anonymous factory in China: get cracking!

seems a little too cheap to me. Id like a balance in the middle the maylong being the too cheap side and the ipad being the too expensive side.

With how similar it looks I'm astonished that no one has pinged them with copyright infringement or anything of that sort. I mean look at it, they took an iPad, stole the IE logo, and I doubt the use of the android system on there was even authorized by Google. It looks like a cheap knock off that some Chinese company made and somehow swindled Wall Greens into buying massive amounts of. Reading the reviews on it, the whole device seems like it has major issues, ie wifi, battery life, crashing, the works. In my opinion it would be a waste of money to purchase this thing. I'd rather spend a bit more and know I'm getting a legaly distributed machine and quality + a warranty as opposed to cheaping out and going with the Maylong. Just my opinion on the matter, but in the end it's not my choice if readers buy it or not.

p.s. don't buy it!

I like how the 'file browser' icon is taken directly from the iphone app "airsharing," and the music icon is the same but with different colors. I've seen reviews of a few other super cheap tablets such as the apad, and the all have gotten poor reviews.

If this works moderately well, it seems impressive. Its cheap and looks alright, as long as the apps arent crap and you can upgrade the version of android, it looks awesome

it's because cheap gadgets like these in the future will i think my kid will be able to program software by the time he hit 8th grade. scary but exciting

Looks like a cheap POS that would really just end up frustrating the consumer rather than make them happy.

That's hilarious. My uncle is a manager for Walgreens. I might have to ask him about these.

I love seeing these type of knockoff products. It's the little things like this that really drive competitions, even if this is a POS. It still gets the others thinking about it.

lol IE icon and iPad device photo manipulated... doesn't this violate some copyright/trademarks?

I'd like to see some video reviews of this to see if it is even worth looking at...

I have tried out Chinese knockoffs of current devices, they are almost always never worth it. Just the resistive touch screen alone kills it for me, a cheap resistive screen is a major PITA to work with.

I still really believe good Ipad competitors are a solid 4 months away (of being announced). Give me a 10" Galaxy tab with a dual core processor, 2 cameras, at least8-10 hrs battery life, and android 3.0+ then I will be happy.

while I'd never get one, perhaps it might serve the purpose of driving down prices of other tablets. personally, I'm looking forward to the release of the Adam from Notion Ink...if it ever gets here. also interesting to note, as others have, the blatant rip-offs of icons and UI. I suppose if you can't come up with something good yourself, copy it and make it cheaper

Based on the video that was posted up, It seems to take FOREVER to boot up. Like REALLY forever. Still, for 100 bucks, you can't really complain much, even I would succumb to getting one... And possibly if you got android 2.2 in there, this issue might be a thing of the past...

Its hard to see whats going for the galaxy Tab with these generic-ish chinese products appearing on the market. Samsung had better buck up or they'd lose even before they got in.

400 MHz and 256 MB RAM seem quite competent actually. For 299 dollars, thats still cheaper than anything else on offer right now. It also sports Wifi and other bells and whistles. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end.

Whatever happens, I hope that Samsung can show up Apple, even if its a little bit!!

I cannot really get behind this new tablet craze. I feel as though a solid 14 inch laptop can do everything a 10 inch tablet can do just better. And as for the toy/fun factor there are a whole lot of other things I'd rather spend 100 to 600 bucks on lol.

I have had little to no luck when it comes to knock off mechandise and this look like it would no exception. I do see a market of under informed individuals that say "Hey I know that the 'e' icon brings me to that fancy thing called the internets and it looks like one of those purty Ipads I think I will swing my tha Wallgreens and pick one up for Billy for Christmas. He is going to college soon you know and the kids want all these crazy electronics now adays". Infact my parents were this way exactly when I was still a in H.S.

Back