TechSpot

Warning Event 1003 DHCP

By RajThas
Feb 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    A user is complaining that his PC freezes up time to time. I checked his event viewer and saw a warning I didn't understand. The following warning occurs atleast once a day. WHat could be causing this? I have also included the event viewer for app and system. Thank you for your help!

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 2009/02/17
    Time: 08:03:19
    User: N/A
    Computer: FB08795
    Description:
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00219B5752E8. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 79 00 00 00 y...

Date: 2009/02/12
    Time: 14:08:35
    Description:
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00219B5752E8. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:

Thank you in advance for your help!!

2. peacefulchaos

peacefulchaos TS Rookie Posts: 53

Here is the Event ID page discussing this error in detail. I've seen it before in my work, but unfortunately I don't remember what resolved it.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

make sure (especially a 3rd party) firewall allows in/out ports 67+68 to or from any.

the renew cycle should only be occurring when the LEASE expires
    (see ipconfig /all)

mine is ~forever
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:06:17 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 7:14:07 PM​
    but check your duration. If it's ~24hrs, then the renew cycle is suspect

4. RajThas

RajThas TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here is my IP info

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 16:57:23
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 20, 2009 16:57:23

The warning appeared again 2009/02/17 @ 08:03:19

Time: 08:03:19
    Description:

Data:

5. jobeard

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 16:57:23
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 20, 2009 16:57:23​
    So now monitor for the event between 17-2-2009 and 20-2-2009.
    If none and the next occurs on 20-2 or 21-2, then suspect the renew cycle is being
    inhibited -- as in the firewall

6. RajThas

Makes sence.

So if this warning appears during the renew cycle then it would soley be an issue with the Firewall?

When this problem occurs, I'm assuming that I would not have any network connection?

Right before the warning message, i got this message.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: e1express
    Event ID: 35
    Time: 08:02:43
    Description:
    Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection Link has been established: 10Mbps full duplex.

Dosen't that mean it was able to connect properly?

I applogize for all the questions. I'm tring to learn so that I know for the future. Thank you!

7. jobeard

hum; If it occurs when not connected to the Internet, then this is an artifact of that condition, ie ... how could you expect otherwise :)

the firewall issue is just one case, there could be others. clearly though, the firewall
    has the potential to inflict this symptom.

8. RajThas

I didn't explain my self properly. What I ment was when this warning occurs does that mean that I will not have access to the network?

Also why does it say it successfuly connected 10/full right before the warning message?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.