Warning notice in Event Viewer..Tcpip

By captaincranky
Aug 23, 2010
  1. "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts." Or so says my event viewer. I followed the instructions at M$ website, and came up with PID "448" being denied internet access for attempting to many concurrent connections.

"PID 448" is the Java Quick Starter..., jqs.exe..! Do I even have a problem...?

With that being said, I do run "NoScript" in Firefox, would this be affecting anything?
  2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 52,799   +343

You're not saying, what Windows version you're running, but if XP, there is normal, default limitation on half-open connections.
    MS introduced it in hope to eliminate infections spread speed by computers turned into bots, but I guess, it didn't do any good, since...
    That limitation was eliminated in Vista, with SP2, I believe.

There is an unofficial patch for it.
    It works well, as I used to use it on XP.
    See here:
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Topic Starter Posts: 11,462   +1,760

Agreed, that's how the M$ page explained it, to prevent the spread of malware. I am running XP SP-2 in the affected machine.

In fairness, I really don't care if the Java Quick Starter gets on line or not, as long as I can tie the event to the process, and it isn't actually malware, I'm good with that.

Thanks for answering my question :)
  4. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 52,799   +343

You're welcome :)

The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. If you don't want to run another extra service, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.