Watch as this guy dunks his GoPro in boiling water to film an egg being poached

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the world around us is full of beauty, you just sometimes have to look at things from a different perspective. We've shared videos in the past where extreme slow motion and simply viewing something from an unusual vantage point makes ordinary things look extraordinary.

Today we have a clip that squarely falls into that latter category.

While maybe not as visually appealing as watching a fireworks display from a drone, this footage of an egg being poached is unlike any you've probably seen before. That's because the author submersed a GoPro camera inside a pot of boiling water to film exactly what happens during the cooking process.

I certainly wouldn't recommend dunking your GoPro in boiling water as the author tells us on Reddit that the camera almost didn't survive. Once the air inside the GoPro's underwater camera got too hot, the case fractured and created a leak that let water in.

After the steamy bath, the LCD screen was black and the camera was very hot and unresponsive. But after a cool down period, everything returned to working order with the footage intact.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

This will inspire go pro to make a new line of science-proof cameras that are heatproof up to the temperature of volacanic lava

This will inspire go pro to make a new line of science-proof cameras that are heatproof up to the temperature of volacanic lava

I have a mate in the fire brigade who has a helmet cam that can take up to 400 degrees.

Im pretty sure your head would melt before the camera at those temps :p

How is this any different from just filming an egg being poached? Because the camera is in the pot too and not just filming through the side of a glass bowl?

I want my 60 seconds back.

For an encore he should dunk his GoPro into a fishtank to be able to see what it looks like from the "inside" of a fishbowl.

What an 'egghead'. Dumping a raw egg into boiling hot water is not 'eggsactly' the way to poach eggs. He has an expensive GoPro camera which he doesn't mind trashing but he's too cheap to buy a proper egg poaching pan. Go figure.

Back