WD my book will not install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

Using xp pro sp2, everything is install correct, i only have one last left to install on my computer and i get this:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Seems like it can't find the drivers, any ideas?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8475063&type=product&id=1185271084002

This item. For some reason its not detecting the driver, it keeps saying data is invaid. I shouldn't have to install to service pack 3, it worked fine before with sp2, always. I just tried hooking up to my P3, which is running on w2k, and it loaded just fine.

I just did a fresh install with sp2, everything is working fine, install fine, i only have one last item to hook up , this external hd and it keeps saying the data is invald. its not finding any drivers for some reason.

Can't partition or format if the drive isn't recognized... Have you tried using WD's install software?

I will check around. I had this problem before a long time ago, don't know how i fix it. But for some reason its not detecting any drivers, and when its looking for one, i see 2 folders, and a paper looking thing going from one folder to another folder, but then it says, data is invaild.

Let me look around

You're posting some inconsistent info.. and, as you noted, you shouldn't need any special drivers for a USB external HD (but the HD does need be formatted correctly and other Windows stuff be correct) to read the data from the device.
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
I will check around. I had this problem before a long time ago, don't know how i fix it. But for some reason its not detecting any drivers, and when its looking for one, i see 2 folders, and a paper looking thing going from one folder to another folder, but then it says, data is invaild.
This indicates Windows is copying data between two folders and doesn't indicate a device driver problem.

I suggest you first check/report on Problem Devices, per above instructions, (these indicate driver failures) then we'll take it from there

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_01C51028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&10 This device is disabled.
My Book USB\VID_1058&PID_1100\57442D574D41535530323239363430 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Yea the 2 folders thing, and it just stops and says data is invalid.
I have sp1 and sp2 install, is there a hotfix or some usb drivers i am missing or something????????

i assume you know your video driver isn't installed so as to your USB drive problem

As to USB drive problem

SP2 should have all the USB drivers needed (tho you might want to run Windows Update, while your USB drive is attached, click Custom, see if it reports any updates

Also, i vaguely recall an old problem.... Open your Network Connections. Do you have a Firewire / IEEE 1394 connection enabled? If yes, disable it and try rebooting and trying again

"Also, i vaguely recall an old problem.... Open your Network Connections. Do you have a Firewire / IEEE 1394 connection enabled? If yes, disable it and try rebooting and trying again"...

Yes LookinAround,
there was some info about the My Book drive not receiving enough power to read correctly. When this happens to desktop hard drives, the data or the MBR becomes corrupted. Because the My Book uses a USB interface, correcting this corruption is more difficult. Tha General may be able to remove the drive and install it into a desktop computer to try to recover data or restore the drive

i assume you know your video driver isn't installed so as to your USB drive problem
Yea thats my onboard video, i am using a 8400gs.

SP2 should have all the USB drivers needed (tho you might want to run Windows Update, while your USB drive is attached, click Custom, see if it reports any updates
Yea sp2 is suppose to have the drivers and i didn't have any issues install sp2. I tried the update thing, no updates.

I might go install sp3, even tho i don't want too. :(

Open your Network Connections. Do you have a Firewire / IEEE 1394 connection enabled? If yes, disable it and try rebooting and trying again
I have something called IEEE 802X1 or something like that. i will try it and report back later.

Tha General may be able to remove the drive and install it into a desktop computer to try to recover data or restore the drive

I just plugin the drive to my old p3 and the data is fine.

Let me try some stuff, be back later

1.Your My Book comes with an AC adapter. I assume you are using it, yes?
2. Don't remember if i told you this before, but Just fyi if and whenever you decide to install SP3, IF you are running IE8. uninstall it first before installing SP3 or you lose the option to uninstall IE8 (You can reinstall IE8 AFTER an SP3 install and then still be able to later uninstall if need be)
3. And would guess the IEEE 8011 should be your wireless connection

Disabling "Legacy USB Detection" in the bios might help

As i recall, "legacy usb detection" is only an issue if you can't get Windows to start with your USB devices plugged in.
=> When legacy is enabled your BIOS provides the USB support till windows starts
=> Once Windows starts "legacy" has nothing to do with it as far as i know

You can still try it BUT BE ADVISED with legacy disabled your USB keyboard/mouse are useless on boot up (till windows starts)

Some additional thoughts
1. Couldn't say for 100% certainty, but i don't think installing SP3 should make a difference in this case. Tho if all else fails.. is certainly something to try and see
2. I would however
  • Try to reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers (and check if usb controller install as well)
  • See this Guide Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive
    => In Part1, Enter SAFE mode (I need update the guide to add SAFE mode ) then follow the steps to reinstall all the Windows USB controllers
    => Also try the tool drivecleanup you'll find listed towards the end in it

I just tried it on my p3 again, it checked for errors, didn't find anything and well it loaded just fine, my p3 has windows 2000 on it. So i plug it back up to my celeron and still get that data is invaid. I sure wish i knew what i did when this happen a few years back lol

ANyways, here is a photo of my device manager and the issue

I just tried it on my p3 again, it checked for errors, didn't find anything and well it loaded just fine, my p3 has windows 2000 on it. So i plug it back up to my celeron and still get that data is invaid. I sure wish i knew what i did when this happen a few years back lol

ANyways, here is a photo of my device manager and the issue

Thanks for the pic... but, actually, the Problem Device report you ran for me back in post #7 already gave me this data :) Well, actually, the Problem Device report gave me MORE data ;)

But you didn't answer prior question: Are you using your AC adapter?

And if you can get it to at least mount on other computer try chkdsk /r (as well as referring to the troubleshooting guide for points previously suggested)

Yes it came with a ac adapter. I am about to throw this sh** in the trash and buy another one, i done tried everything :( My last thing to do is install sp3.

ugh be back later later. :(

1. Just to be clear.. it not only came with the AC adapter but you are using the adapter?

2. Frankly, i;d try reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers and do the USB controller reinstalls (in safe mode) before trying SP3 (my 2cents worth)

3. Any my observation, has been WD external USB drives have more then their share of this type problem. I wouldn't advise buing a WD external again

As i recall, "legacy usb detection" is only an issue if you can't get Windows to start with your USB devices plugged in.
=> When legacy is enabled your BIOS provides the USB support till windows starts
=> Once Windows starts "legacy" has nothing to do with it as far as i know

You can still try it BUT BE ADVISED with legacy disabled your USB keyboard/mouse are useless on boot up (till windows starts)

My USB keyboard and mouse still work during boot up with Legacy USB Dection disabled... Also, my iPOD Shuffle no longer keeps my system from booting

My USB keyboard and mouse still work during boot up with Legacy USB Dection disabled... Also, my iPOD Shuffle no longer keeps my system from booting
Yes, Tmagic650

Like i said, USB Legacy issues have to do with preventing bootup issues (and can interfere with shutdown as well) but this thread is about a system where Windows is already running.

As for issues to be advised of when USB Legacy is disabled, i';ll be more specific then (or you can read the info yourself in the Intel publication should you (or others) experience these issues... just as fyi...As i can't predict what might be experienced on your system but can refer to the following "beware's"
Symptoms if USB Legacy Support is Disabled
If USB Legacy Support is disabled in the BIOS, you will not be able to use your USB mouse or keyboard in any of the following situations:

* Running your computer in Safe mode.
* Using a Windows Startup menu.
* Starting your computer in MS-DOS mode (instead of opening a MS-DOS session from Windows).
* Starting your computer from a floppy disk or leaving a floppy disk in the drive when you turn on or restart your computer.
* Windows "blue screen" errors that ask you to "Press any key to continue".
* Responding to ScanDisk and other messages during the start-up sequence.
* Editing or upgrading the BIOS.
* Entering a BIOS password.

It seem like the "beware's" you posted are just the opposite of what I have found on several new systems recently...

I have one of the newer ICH10 Gigabyte intel chipset motherboards. After updating the bios from F2 to F4, if my iPOD was in it's USB cradle, the system would halt or pause at the memory count. Before this update the problem was not evident. My mouse and keyboard function in the bios, in a Windows start up screen ( I have a dual boot Vista and Windows 7 boot) and in Safe Mode, just the same as before legacy USB was disabled. This motherboard and case has 14 USB2 ports. I imagine that the older motherboards might just follow your "beware's" more to the letter. Tha General's problem is most likely a USB current/signal sensitivity particular to WD products

!!!!!!!!!FINALLY OMG !!!!!!!!

Well after looking in google for the past 3 - 4 hours lol, i came across a forum, the guy said you have to uninstall sp2, plug in your device again and it should work. And what do you know, i uninstall sp2, plug in the drive and it install without any issues.
So now i have to install sp2 again.

I wonder why sp2 prevented the drivers to be install?

Thanks for all the help people!
I hope i never have to reinstall xp again lol, its really a pain sometimes.

peace

!!!!!!!!!FINALLY OMG !!!!!!!!

Well after looking in google for the past 3 - 4 hours lol, i came across a forum, the guy said you have to uninstall sp2, plug in your device again and it should work. And what do you know, i uninstall sp2, plug in the drive and it install without any issues.
So now i have to install sp2 again.

I wonder why sp2 prevented the drivers to be install?

Thanks for all the help people!
I hope i never have to reinstall xp again lol, its really a pain sometimes.

peace
Congrats! :grinthumb I've never heard that one before. Will have to add it to the long (and growing) list of XP's idiosyncrasies

<snip>Tha General's problem is most likely a USB current/signal sensitivity particular to WD products
I guess this is academic at this point as The General has things working now. But am curious..

My background / most of my experience is systems software engineering and not EE (i.e. hardware). I know external drives without its own power source can have issues and be very sensitive to the power it needs and draws a USB port (in that case, USB is the ONLY source of power).. but how so when it has its own power adapter? How sensitive / needs could it have that are unique to the device?

Again, am just curious. As well, if you still have the same opinion after the problem was resolved uninstalling/reinstalling SP2? As i'm still guessing it's more likely related to something like resetting the USB stack ("software resets" accomplished by uninstall / reinstall).

Anyway, am just asking to help try better understand it myself.

I don't know LookinAround,
I disabled legacy USB detection because of this thread and low and behold, my keyboard and mouse work and so does my iPOD. Legacy means "old"... I was thinking that it had to be enabled to detect some older USB devices, but even my old external CD writer and external USB flash drives and hard drives are seen with no problems. I wonder what would happen if Tha General updated XP to SP3? Computer hardware/ software varies so widely... We can't just lump all computers together it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back