Web Page Outwar.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiney

Can anyone help me to get rid of this annoying web page that keeps auto loading everytime I start my system.

It started out with a file wanting to download, I Refused but it kept coming up so i accepted the file but did not open it.

I have checked registry and disabled the web site in Norton Internet Security.

Checked startup folder and start programs in System Info

Apparently I have been recruited by agent 13 ?????

The web page had a report spam facility which I used, but I still have the problem.
I use Windows XP Pro, Norton I.A.S. Norton A.V. And Adaware 6.0 all these are updated with latest patterns.

Just what do you have to do to be safe :mad:

Thx in advance:grinthumb

It appears as soon as you start your system? Is there a shortcut to it in your startup folder under start menu programs? Or one for "all users" ? Check in c:\documents and settings folder for any shortcuts to web pages.

You can also use MSconfig (Start/Run/type in MSCONFIG and press enter). Go to the Startup tab and check if anything untoward is there. Un-check it if found, exit and reboot.
If that was it, you now have a program and directory etc. to hunt for (and delete/uninstall)

Found this on the web:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Outwar12/

Quote:
To: Outwar.com

For many months now Outwar.com the well known online turn based game, has been supporting spyware services. NCase, Whazit, Gator, BrilliantDigital, and so many more. These names listed are all Files, Folders, Reg Keys, Reg Values, or even running processes at this moment. The Outwar Staff has said and quote, "We have had no idea of these incidents". Though they say this, Whazit, NCase, and BrilliantDigital was all apart of their website! Coincidence? I think not. To this day, I am still trying to get rid of some of the spyware that has been given to me from Outwar.com. Surprising how many people left the game. A lot of people left Outwar.com because they believe like many others, Outwar has become a power hungry disaster. Research shows around 20 - 25% left because of the spyware. They may seem like a little number, but when you take into consideration of how many people actually play outwar, you will see that's a lot of people. It's more then 85% likely you, right now, are hosting spyware from Outwar.com. Think about this petition. Sign this petition if you do not agree with Outwar.com's ways. I know I am not the only one.

Sincerely,

Unquote.

well was it a song or a program? if it was a program I know that the program and the site are linked..

This guy named ad4m from the game created a VB code that would open his outwar link and he sold it to people and like 1,000s of people have it.. (I have it but it don't work for me ;) ) It was leaked to alot of people so he got like nothing..well I don't know how to remove it

Tx

Thx for help guys.

I have checked all startup folders I can think of, disabled unknown items in my start folder & Msinfo section.

I did a search for the web page name in regedit and file search, even tried to find text within the files referencing it, still no joy.

At least it now comes up with web site not found since i blocked the site address in N.I.S

If anyone finds a cure please let me know. :confused:

I don't know if this is relevant, but many spywares set and lock your IE homepage. If this is the case, check this:

If you know how to piddle in the registry, first search for evil website until you find a reg entry obviously part of IE config. Will be called "start page"... For me it's in
\HKU\.Default\Software\Microsoft\IE\Main

You can change it there. Next you have to find the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

Set everything to 0. Will allow you to reset the home page after that. :)

Tx again

I have tried ad aware 6. norton av, stinger, searching reg still nothing found. :(

one last program to try might be spybot search and destroy. occaisionally that'll find something that adaware missed.

Thx all

Well everyone thx for your advice but the problem has now been resolved, my mobo packed up :( so a full reinstall has got rid of it.

Thx again, great help site :)

Removing Outwar

I just finished getting rid of the outwar system startup popup
try the following:
remove any unnecessary files from registry
hkey local machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run
and possibly the same from the hkey current user thread

remove netcom32-- i suggest using regcleaner to do so, so you can make a registry backup -- netcom32 looks like a vb app in the windows/system32 folder

if this doesn't work go to google and type remove outwar some sites with other possible filenames will be listed

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back