Weekend game deals: Metro 2033 for $4.99

By Matthew
Apr 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. If you've been waiting to grab Metro 2033 for less than the cost of a McDonald's meal, now's your chance. In addition to its other great deals, GamersGate is selling the title for only $4.99, even undercutting Steam's current sale price of $9.99. Meanwhile, Impulse offers 50% off Crysis Warhead and Company of Heroes, Direct2Drive cuts 25% off all games priced $19.95 or higher, EA has reduced its blockbuster RPGs by 33%, and Microsoft has knocked half off Resident Evil 5.

Read the whole story
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

this is awesome deal.

i am definitely hopping onto the Metro Deal at gamergate. they gave me an additional free game (Volvo racing game) for signing up as a new customer too :) probably not a A+ game, but hey... any goodies these vendors can do to get me sign up i am all for it :D great deal listing techspot.. can always count on you guys looking out for us. :)
  3. hamitaltintop22

hamitaltintop22 TS Rookie Posts: 21

As a suggestion, you guys should include amazon as well. Their "game download" versions of pc games sometimes are on good sales. For example, now they have BC2 for $10, BC2 Vietnam for $7.50, ME2 for $10, Medal of Honor (2010) for $15, and NFS Hot Pursuit for $15 (odd how they are all EA games). They have also had Splinter Cell Conviction for $15 for sometime now.

Just a heads up to Matthew and the readers.
  4. I went to the Gamerscrate site for Metro 2033 and it is showing the price at the full 20 I missing something?
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,260   +92

Apparently the sale only lasted through Friday.
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,454   +1,759

Oh sure, 5 bucks for the game, but 2 grand for a computer that will run it....:rolleyes:
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

You know better than that captain...
  8. captaincranky

Do I....? I've become jaded reading so many posts saying, "I like to play MY games with everything turned on HIGH"! (And why shouldn't you, look who you are, I mumble to myself)! (That was the royal"you", not you lawfer)

As I understand it, "everything on high" with "Metro 2033" is a pretty tall order. So, it does beg the question, "if no two grand, then how much"?
  9. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

$2k probably isn't far off the mark if you're looking at a computer that can play M2033 maxed ( 4xMSAA, Tessellation and DoF enabled). At the very least the system is likely to require a two graphics card (and enthusiast grade at that) setup...which of course means a chassis commensurate with the cooling and space requirements. Then of course if you can pop for SLI'ed GTX570/580 or CF'ed HD6970/6950 you all also in all likelihood wont be skimping on the other componentry -maybe a 2500K/P67 as entry level and a nice 850+w PSU to throw into the mix.
  10. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Unless you want a unbalanced machine(buy the 6970/580 or better you need to run Metro at 30 FPS avg on very high DX11) you are in the ballpark. You get away with cheaper if you get a huge GPU and go budget on the MB,CPU etc. The game will run, an uses largely only 2 cores, so a reasonably fast dual will work.
  11. the metro2033 deal seems to be gone.
  12. captaincranky

It ended Friday, or so says Matthew at post #5.

We were just keeping the thread alive for its social value.
  13. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,260   +92

Yeah, the deal at GamersGate seems to have expired, but Steam still has it for $9.99.
  14. i run the game high on a rig with two 480's in SLI a intel core i7 980x at 4.3ghz and 12gb of ram and get 60fps on very high settings.
  15. captaincranky

So what..........?