Weekend Open Forum: Do you use social media?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I jumped on the social networking / media bandwagon pretty early on when MySpace was just starting to take off. I rode the social wave over to Facebook and hung around there for about seven years before finally deciding to call it quits.

I opened a Twitter account at one point but never did much with it; the same can be said for my Google+ account. I also updated a blog regularly for about two years but ultimately stopped posting as I simply wanted to dedicate more time to other endeavors. Despite my passion for photography, I never had any interest to join Instagram or the like.

With this week’s open forum, we want to know if you use any type of social media. If so, which platforms do you prefer and why? If not, what’s kept you from it thus far?

Permalink to story.

Yes, around 15 hours per day 24/7, 80% of it is part of my job while the rest is gaming and technology forums which I guess also counts as social media.

No social media here. :)
(if tech sites are not counted)

I think all my friends have facebook accounts and know how to post pics taken from their smart/dumb phones.

Got sucked into the Twitterverse after following a couple of people. Used to have Facebook but tossed it to the wind when they introduced the timeline format.

I've tried lots of them, including the very sociable - dating - sites, but nothing stuck because it seemed like I was not really living and I decided it was much better to meet people face to face. It really shows how important they are to me. But I know that I miss out on lots of things going on because I'm not "connected", so I guess there must be a happy balance there somewhere.

Never touch the stuff..total abstention..of course, being a genius, I have no need for it..and way too many interesting things to do anyway.

I keep a Facebook account for quick and easy talking with certain family members. I don't really bother that much with it for other purposes though.

I've thought about taking up twitter, but I don't see much of a point.

I dropped Facebook for Twitter a month or so ago to keep up with Battlefield 3 updates, UFC via Dana White, AMD Catalyst Creator Andrew, and the like.

With this week’s open forum, we want to know if you use any type of social media.
I never could get a grip on social media. Eventually I made a decision that social media sites are not for me. I will sit back and wish everyone else good fortune with them.

Very little. I have a FB account, but that's mainly to keep in touch with my relatives as they have for whatever reason forgotten how to use e-mail or make a phone call.

Otherwise, forget it - too much of a nuisance for me.

I didn't join Facebook until it was 2010 where it grew unexpectedly. Like everybody else, I'm always geared up for posting in that social network ever since. And there's Twitter too.

Never. Anything that requires logging into a useless, anti-privacy data mining service is no more worthwhile than the service itself. BTW, when did it become social <b>media</b> and not social <I>networking</I>? Did the blogosphere finally realize that FB and its vile cousins are only about mutual narcissism?

I honestly don't have very many friends in the real world. however I do have a Facebook, and a YouTube account.
rarely use em'

Despite my passion for photography, I never had any interest to join Instagram or the like.
Good, that means you might actually be a photographer :)
This video takes allot of jabs at popular events on Facebook et all, I linked it on my Facebook page, didn't get many likes tho, I wonder why :p

I used to use the likes of Facebook, but these days, I've had all my social accounts deleted and never looked back. Initially, it was just a simple case of "I have issues with the ever changing privacy policies" Now, I'm just flat out sick of social media. You can't find many websites where there isn't a slew of FB, Google+, Twitter and Blogger like and repost facilities. I might not have a list of thousands of friends, with my decision to completely abandon social media, but the friends I've got actually call, text and hang out with me instead of expecting me to smack my face against a screen until time collapses in on itself.

It seems as though social media is becoming one of those "cool things to hate" topics - "oh yeah, Ive disconnected my facebook account and my life has become sooo much better" crowd.

Personally, Im a tech connoisseur like most on Techspot, but enjoy my facebook experience immensely

Most of my family live hundreds if not thousands of miles away, and its nice to see even just ramblings posted...

I also use facebook similar to an internet forum... I post questions which I need answers to, I share interesting topics which I think will benefit some contacts... and post pictures of my daughter for her aunt and grandma to see both in Scotland and the the Philippines.

I love social media... so bahumbug haters :p

I never felt the need to have a facebook account or likewise any other social media account.
It's much too complicated .......Anonymity is what I like. :p

It seems as though social media is becoming one of those "cool things to hate" topics - "oh yeah, Ive disconnected my facebook account and my life has become sooo much better" crowd.

Personally, Im a tech connoisseur like most on Techspot, but enjoy my facebook experience immensely

Most of my family live hundreds if not thousands of miles away, and its nice to see even just ramblings posted...

I also use facebook similar to an internet forum... I post questions which I need answers to, I share interesting topics which I think will benefit some contacts... and post pictures of my daughter for her aunt and grandma to see both in Scotland and the the Philippines.

I love social media... so bahumbug haters :p

Finally someone who's on a tech site who isn't a hater. I too can't believe all the hate from Tech people. Facebook is great. Great way to keep in touch. Great way to advertise my business. Most people I see who hate or left Facebook don't understand the potential. You don't have to use Facebook like the newbies out there gaming and what not. I have learned the inside and out of Facebook and there is so much to it. It's so freakin easy and people who don't understand probable don't know how to program DVR's or VCR's back in the day. Sure there are downsides as with any technology but I see the greater potential of Facebook and I choose to be in from the beginning and learn all their is. Come on your Techies...SMH.

Nope, don't use any social media. Facebook has had too many privacy screw-ups. Google's Android was busted uploading location history and address books, so I don't trust Google. I'm way too prolix for Twitter, not to mention Twitter having to hand over Birgitta Jonsdottir's tweets. Uncle Scam already knows too much about us and can force any social media to hand over the goods on anyone. Oh, and don't forget the more than 1 billion comm intercepts per day by the NSA performs. Remember Mark Klein? Remember the Stasi? OK, do you know what the Stasi was? You can say I'm paranoid or you can say I know more history than you do.

Back