Weekend Open Forum: How many processes are running right now?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Not long ago, it was fairly common for power users to reference Windows' process list as if it were a barometer for the machine's speed. I can recall forum debates between members bragging about how few processes their system ran at startup, and I remember being adamant about ensuring that only essential items were running on my system. In that same vein, it was also common for folks to seek and destroy non-critical Windows services for speed gains.

In an age of hexa-core CPUs, dirt cheap RAM and flash storage, it seems those concerns have faded from enthusiasts' consideration. My relatively modest PC runs north of 100 processes daily (many of which are Chrome tabs) without breaking a sweat and I can increase or decrease that figure by 50 without noticing a difference in usable performance. How many processes are you currently running and do you pay attention to them anymore? Did you ever?

Permalink to story.

I have 72 processes running. I don't pay attention to it anymore. When I computer was dirt slow I used to get rid of them constantly.

118, i had 142 when i had 2 users logged on. Using 3.24 GB of RAM right now out of 6 GB (realistically 5.80). Also note that I use Intel HD Graphics (1st gen), which can take at most 1.5GB from RAM.

I can recall forum debates between members bragging about how few processes their system ran at startup,

I remember the thread you are referring to i think. I believe it was Mictlantecuhtli that had it down to 16 processes or something around there.

69...how fortuitous.

My primary rig is running at 0 presently

/waits for Guest to post negative five in order to show me how it's done.

Well, including the 9 tabs I have open in Chrome, i'm at 101...don't even know what half of this stuff is, lol. I know some of it is ASUS software, and some of it is skinning programs, but more than half of it is stuff that i've never seen...might need to check up on some of this. But hey, CPU is only hovering between 5 to 10 percent, and RAM around 25-30 (never reaching more than 60, and that's when I have a game going...I have a feeling most of the RAM usage is coming from the skinning programs). Still, I should probably look into some these and see what's in there that's useless.

bchen88c said:
Also note that I use Intel HD Graphics (1st gen), which can take at most 1.5GB from RAM.

Ah, thanks for posting that. Now I know why I sit around 2GB usage. Never thought of INTEL HD Graphics using 1.5gigs. Guess my programs aren't using as much as I thought they were (i have the same amount of RAM as you....for now. Hope to replace the 2 gig card with a 4 gig in the next month or 2 to get the full 8 that this laptop can handle. Do I need that much? Probably not, but it'll make me feel better :p

Well, right now I have 39. I could kill the printer, spool server, and jqs.exe. When I close the task manager, that would be 35.

Does this mean it's true what they say, I really don't have a life?.....:confused:

Ah, thanks for posting that. Now I know why I sit around 2GB usage. Never thought of INTEL HD Graphics using 1.5gigs.
Ever since Intel 915 graphics, which would set aside up to 244MB (?), one might guess that number would go up in concert with improved graphics. But, 1.5 GB is a truly unexpected number.....! Intel uses a set aside for graphics number which is based on available RAM. So, the fact that a large amount you've to begin with, most likely leads to this outcome. Sort of like tropical fish growing to the size appropriate to their tank.

Well, right now I have 39. I could kill the printer, spool server, and jqs.exe. When I close the task manager, that would be 35.

Does this mean it's true what they say, I really don't have a life?.....:confused:

Yes..
Sadly now...there can be but one outcome.

...On the bright side, It seems Chef is getting on swimmingly.

69...how fortuitous.

Just do what i do.
speak in ever diminishing circles until you disappear up your own mouthhole.:D
Wow, your drugs are way, way better than my drugs.....

F# F# G G F# F# G G..A C D A.......repeat...

I just felt that strangest compulsion to write down the chord progression to the verses of "White Rabbit".......

Dum dum da-da-da dum dah......Dum dum da-da-da dum dah.

(I tried to work, " one pill makes you disappear into you own mouth hole", into the melody line, but you really have to force it.

Wow, your drugs are way, way better than my drugs.....

F# F# G G F# F# G G..A C D A.......repeat...

I just felt that strangest compulsion to write down the chord progression to the verses of "White Rabbit".......

Dum dum da-da-da dum dah......Dum dum da-da-da dum dah.

(I tried to work, " one pill makes you disappear into you own mouth hole", into the melody line, but you really have to force it.

Oh great. Now I have the bass-line of White Rabbit on a loop in my head with Hendrix's Star spangled banner crashing in randomly.

Oh great. Now I have the bass-line of White Rabbit on a loop in my head with Hendrix's Star spangled banner crashing in randomly.
You're welcome! Think nothing of it! That was the least I could do...:rolleyes:

"Remember, what the door mouse said, "Feed your head", Feed your head"...........Clang, clang, clang..., clang, clang, clang....., clang CLANG!

(I always forget the chords to that last part, the song changes key) :confused:

Back