Weekend Open Forum: How often do you open your PC case?

Matthew DeCarlo

open forum case chassis enclosure pc computer desktop

When I first started getting into the hobbiest side of PCs, I'd open my case at least a few times a week -- in fact, it was something of a necessity because I could only get the thing to boot by clearing the CMOS on its budget Abit motherboard. Although I still count myself as a PC enthusiast, I hardly ever slide the top off my HAF XB and when I do, it's generally to clean or occasionally to troubleshoot, but rarely to upgrade.

There are many reasons why I don't tinker inside my computer as much these days, not least of which because it's simply less novel to me. I'm also pretty content with my setup as it is, so I don't really have a reason to start fixing things that aren't broken. It's the same for many of our staffers -- some of which don't even have an enthusiast-grade desktop anymore. How about you? How often do you open your case?

HAF XB image via Overclock.net

Permalink to story.

About once a month on average, but recently upgraded my video card to a gtx 780 and new motherboard that was compatible with it (my 2 yr old Z68 mb didn't like the 780 even with bios updatewhich didn't take). Also changed my case so that I can see inside it instead of just side fans. So Ive got a renewed interest in showing it off after just spending a grand on it lol.

Once every six to eight months, or every time I start the thing...To clear the CMOS so it will boot properly. Interestingly, it just so happens to be an Abit mobo (NF-8).

Every three months to clean the case filters, brush off fan blades and admire my handiwork and choice of parts.

About once a week at least.
Dusty semi-rural environment, and my chassis is decked out with very fine mesh DEMCIflex filters. The ones covering the push+pull high cfm fans attached to the radiator especially benefit from a regular clean.

Recently a few times a week, got a new case, graphics card, still contemplating between finishing decking out my case or getting a PSU (for when I upgrade the rest of my PC next summer)...
I enjoy messing with my hardware more than I enjoy gaming. Its too bad that I dont get more oppurtunities to do it :p

4-6 times a year for cleaning, more if I am showing off what I have in my case (since I don't have a windowed side panel).

This is a really interesting question for a weekend open forum. I honestly probably open it once a week. I've lost interest in gaming so I pretty much have a $2500 paperweight on my desk. I usually do nothing but look at how cool the stuff I wastes money on is.

I used to open my case all the time. A lot less these days since external storage solutions have changed so much (big NAS drives). Seems like hardware doesn't change as fast as it used to so not as much need for constant changing.

After reading this, I gotta admit I felt bad about how little I clean the inside of my computer. :)

Speaking of opening the case I have to clean mine out. Damn cats, dogs, and all other types of air particulates.

I haven't opened mine since 2009 XD until about 2 weeks ago, will post pictures later of my dusty discovery :p

On my current rig a I7 920 I've done periodic upgrades in the course of its lifetime, between video card upgrades and ssd install id say in the last 5 years ive done upgrade about 4 times, other than that about 3-4 times a year to clean the filters and the inside of the case..I dont get ot enjoy it as much as id like to anymore..but soon getting new mobo, i7 haswell and ram..sticking with my xfired 6970s for about a couple more months til I upgrade them to 7970s most probably

About once a month for cleaning. I have an HAF X case which is one big and heavy mother, so that alone discourages me from cleaning more often. When I do my upgrades, it's more a complete rebuild than an upgrade, so that's about once very 2-3 years.

I'm impressed, looks like we have a lot of hygiene conscious PC users around here. Like many of you I tend to open my case 2-4 times a year, but the cleaning is usually a byproduct of an upgrade.

A. every 2 months:
1. intel i3-530, dh55tc mobo, palit 9800gt 1gb ddr3 NVidia gpu, thermaltake 630w smartpower psu in an antec one case, windows 7 home premium x64
2. intel Pentium dual core g630, ecs h61h2-m12 mobo, intel gpu, 700w generic psu in a generic case, windows 7 home premium x64
3. intel i5-3570k, asrock z77 extreme4, intel gpu, seasonic M12II 650W psu in a HAF932 case, windows 7 home premium x64.

b. every year:
intel e5400, ecs g41t-m mobo, evga g210 512mb ddr3 NVidia gpu, intex accopia 600w in a generic case, windows 7 home premium x64.

c. not yet cleaned as I don't know how:
acer 4720 laptop with intel core 2 duo 1.6ghz, 2gb ddr2-800 ram, windows vista home premium x86 dual boot windows 7 home premium x64.

Least once a month, Lots of filters on the system intakes, I normally clean the filters though at least once a week.

You open your computer for troubleshooting? Mmm...

I've got a Macbook and in two years, I've opened it twice: once to expand memory and install an SSD in the optical bay, and later to expand memory further. Both times, it wasn't really dirty.

My case is open 24/7, you see... I dumped the wrong case cover into the garbage three years ago and since then my computer has been working all day without a cover, how cool is that?

5 or 6 times a year, or whenever my antec 1200 dust filters looks dusty, Which is quite often with 12 fans running 24 hours a day!

Complete tear down, dust and rebuild every 12 months or so.

Back