Weekend Open Forum: What was your first screen name?

Matthew DeCarlo

This week we'd like to highlight a thread created by longtime TechSpot member LookinAround. He asks: "There's a lot of interesting and curious looking usernames on TechSpot. The meaning of some are more obvious than others. Some usernames are downright impossible to figure out without an explanation! Help satisfy my (and the TS community's) curiosity. Why did you choose your username? What does it mean?"

We'd love to hear those answers if you're willing to share the information, but we thought it'd be fun to spice things up by simultaneously asking about your very first screen name -- assuming you aren't too embarrassed and your privacy won't be compromised. Many of us registered our first Web accounts at an impressionable age and, well, asking youngsters to create a pseudonym is bound to have some humorous results.

In my earliest days online, I used my first name with numbers after it when required ("Matt" is rarely available). I've used more creative (equally lame) handles over the years, but I tend to just use my real name these days. If privacy is a concern, I use the random alphanumeric string that catches bots, such as "6DHFO." That requires no thought because the registration page usually generates one for me and it's always different.

**Image via Losevsky Yellowj/Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Belladonic Haze was my first and is still used in a lot of places today. First used in 2001, however I've been using the net since 1994! So it took 7 yrs to even get a screen name on anything as it wasn't until 2001 I started using it for more 'social' purposes :)

Watashi. In the native American Navajo language it means "God." In Japanese it means, "me" or "I" depending on the tense.

In my MMORPG playing days Japanese players would run up and start talking to me in Japanese and I had no clue as to what they were saying....LOL.

hmm probably something I entered in when playing zelda on nes when I was like 5 years old. but uh treetops422 is what I use everywhere. 422 to limit the annoyance of treetops being taken. When I played diablo 1, the earliest online game I ever played I had the names DemonHunter, RedEyedKnight, Sage.

My first was way back before the days of the internet, when the fastest modem speed was 1200 baud, my 1200 baud modem was faster than my friends 300. :) My first screen name I chose was "Hawkeye", I used that for a long time on the various BBSes we had, also ran my own BBS for a while. I later switched it to "Nitehackr" or "Night Hacker", I needed the shorter form in order to fit most places at the time. I am a late night person who has always loved programming (which is what "hacking" originally meant).

Outlaw was my irc screen name back in the day of the wild wild net. Early 90's

Disk Wizard in the 80's BBS scene. Ahhh... the good old days.

Since I got my msn screenname when I was about 10 years old, which is 2001, it's been Lantyem. I'm sure it meant something when I was a kid, but now I have no idea what it stands for, I'm just used to it and I like it.

RH00D, or RH00D2 are the screen names I use online. In the rare case that numbers are not allowed I simply use RHOOD. This is just the first letter of my first name followed by my last name, switching out the Os for 0s. Before that I used Traiz, it does not have any meaning behind it other than the fact that I was trying to think of something that likely wasn't in use all over the net. Before that I used ReadingNayr. The second half of that is my name backwards, I have no idea what the Reading portion of it was supposed to signify, but I only used that back in the days of Xbox Live for the original Xbox. (Halo 2). Before THAT I don't remember my screen names.

My very first user name was Blazer, and I created it in 2000 I think; which, at the time, was pretty generic. I don't recall where I got it from though. I only used that one for like a year or two and then switched to my current one: lawfer.

I took that name from a character from the RPG Valkyrie Profile from the PS1, which, is my favorite JRPG. I liked how, in the game, the father of the character "lawfer" tells his son that he chose that name sort of like to show others he knew his son would bring law and justice to the world. I saw myself always (a mistake for internet newcomers) debating on the internet for what I believed was right, so I stayed with that name on many, many forums, sites, and eventually here. :)

I've generally been thelastsurvivor. This was because I always dreamed of playing counterstrike zombie mod, but never got around to it lol.

Arston, because A R S T are the first four letters on the keyboard layout I'm using ? Colemak. Look it up if you ain't familiar. -on is just to complete it as a name :)
My first username, and still used in a lot of places because I'm using my old accounts, is my name with my birth-year.

I've always used the same one on forums, etc so I can remember it without writing it down. But in games, I use "deathspeed" cuz it sounds scarier. :) I started using the name "Dr. Deathspeed" while playing the single-player only "The Great American Cross Country Road Race" on my Atari 1200XL in college. I don't remember now if the name just popped into my head, or if one of my college buds came up with it.

Well I have been using R3DP3NGUIN for a few years also rpenguin, I have noticed there is another R3DP3NGUIN who uses Xbox live. PLF GANGSTA is my old on-line name

When I created my email in 2002(same one I use today) the name I made was k2aka111. That then switched to brickling and now I'm yRaz. yRaz seems to be used in lots of other places so I need to come up with something original. However, I haven't found a place that I couldn't use k2aka111 at or brickling.

Back