Weekend Open Forum: What's on your holiday agenda?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With frosty weather taunting the northern hemisphere, it's increasingly evident that the holidays are upon us. We've run various holiday-themed Weekend Open Forums in the past, asking what you want for Christmas and what you purchased during Black Friday. This time around, we'd like to combine those subjects into a single post. Are you watching for a particular item to go on sale? What's on your wishlist? Have any special plans for the holidays?

I can't say I hope to receive anything, but the right-click on my trusty Logitech G5 has started failing today, so I guess I'll be shopping for a new mouse in the near future. Julio is eyeing a Kindle Fire and Pro Evolution Soccer 2012, while Steve has his heart set on a new DSLR camera -- preferably the Nikon D7000. As a side note, we should mention that we're working on our usual holiday giveaway, buying guide and list of most anticipated PC games.

Image via jcjgphotography/Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I have nothing tech-related in my sights, although I wouldn't mind picking up a new pair of sunglasses and some replacement items for my vehicle.

#1 thing on my wish list: a job!

Other than that, on my wish(ful thinking) list...
- Win 7 tablet that I can install Win 8 on for experiments >:)
- Some DDR3 1600+ RAM
- A suit vest
- A couple Kindle books

Nothin' else in particular I guess. The things I listed are more things I hope to get myself for super cheap sometime this holiday season, and not at all things I'd expect other people to get me.

breech said:
Well, it was going to be a bulldozer based system but............yeah.
lol why? Rooting for the underdog?
I've have enough money to buy a proper computer and I'm going all out on a nice sandy bridge system. If I get everything I want it will have
i7 2600k
HD 6950
90gb - 120gb SSD (I'll use any old hard drive from a laptop or whatever for extra space)
Corsair 500r case, is there a more beautiful case available?

Not to sound too soppy but all I want for Christmas is to spend time with my girls. Right now I'm not too sure how much I'll be able to see them, or even where I will be for Christmas. Kinda hard making plans when I don't know for certain what's happening.

Other than that, I'll likely just be grabbing some bargains in the sales for my gaming build. Hopefully I can grab a nice entry eyefinity GPU ready for my everyday computer and if I can get them, some new LED-backlit 22" HD displays to replace my current items - I'd like to go for three 22" models this time, and replace my current 24/22" LG's.

Well I'm currently computer less so building one :)
I'm waiting for intel x79 chipset to come along, which I heard has been pinned for the 14th, so I can build a system to last.

Other than that? Hoping for some new socks :)

Not sure. I was originally going to get everyone a funny T-Shirt but figuring out sizes is going to be a *****. I also got fired a few weeks back so conserving money will be a priority. I was going to get a WinPhone..Phone for myself but not sure if I should.

Just spend time with the family and gain a few more pounds. Might knock the dust off the X58 rig and install some upgrades I haven't gotten around to for months. Other than that, wishing I had planned a trip to Denver to spend some time with my daughter. She just started a new job and won't be able to make it home for the holidays :(

I might get generous and hand out £50 for a new HDD. Windows won't get off my back about space, so i think i'll just give in.

Other than that, because i'm not a 'holiday' type of person, I may have to completely blank it out in front of some PS3 games...Saint's Row: The Third should kill a week, I'll probably start with that.

Intel Core i7-2700k
22-24" LED Monitor (Acer)
32" LED/LCD TV (Samsung; torn because of high cost of local led tv brands/models)
nVidia GTX580
wifi N router with 2 usb ports (for usb 3g dongle and printer)
cheap guitar
night vision goggles
Epson L200 Printer
Nike sandals

Aside from spending time with my family, I guess Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 will be taking up a lot of my time assuming of course that the pair of EVGA GTX 580 SC cards that I ordered finally arrives. Several of my favorite authors are also releasing new titles in the 4th quarter so I'll also be busy reading my new hardcover novels this holiday season.

AKG Q701 (green)
Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE

Then to start saving up for a pair of nVidia's next top single gpu cards - probably 680s.

As far as family goes we're headed to Colorado for a ski trip.

Back