Weekend Open Forum: What's the oldest online account you still use?

Jos

I've signed up to many, many websites in my years online. In fact, just checking my password manager I found that I've registered to 89 different websites, even though I only use a handful of those with frequency. That got me thinking it's time to clean up a bit and close some accounts. Also, why not make it this week's Weekend Open Forum topic?

Today we want to know: what's the longest-standing online user account that you still use? I know for a lot of people it'll probably be their email service, but in my case I switched to Gmail in June 2004 and abandoned my old Hotmail address for good.

I can't say with complete certainty, but from the ones I still use semi-regularly it's probably Amazon's (first purchase on record is April, 28 2004). Other accounts that I'm sure predate this but I don't use anymore include MercadoLibre (Latin America's eBay), my university email and a Yahoo account I used for spammy websites. Tell as about yours! Bonus points if you know how many websites you are registered at.

Old man image via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

By far Hotmail... my name is the email addy, created back when Hotmail had a whopping 2 meg limit

I sometimes use an ICQ account that's in the 600,000 members range. that's a early 1997 account if I remember correctly.

I was thinking Hotmail, too, but I think ICQ was first in the mid to late 90s. I still use both accounts through Trillian.

Also checked the number of accounts I've registered and saved to my <enter password manager name here>. I'm reaching almost 400, many of which I really have no clue what they are if I were to lose access to the master account (ouch!).

Hmmm...accounts I still <i>use</i>? Probably my Yahoo address, which I also use for the aforementioned spam-happy sites. Its so nice to simply click "spam" and know Yahoo will not only block the source but will try to UNSUBSCRIBE you, too. Had that account since around '97 I think. Too bad the *****s started charging for POP3 access or it might still be my primary address. My actual <b>oldest</b> account would be my Fidonet portal address, which still works I believe.

Hotmail, still use it as my primary email. Its pretty old back when people only had one email address. Its been safe from spam so far unlike my gmail account which I throw around :D

By far hotmail, first account I ever created online, it was about 9 years ago [yep, I had late access to internet] and I still use it as my personal mail.

I sometimes use an ICQ account that's in the 600,000 members range. that's a early 1997 account if I remember correctly.
I completely forgot about ICQ! Don't use it very often but that's definitely my oldest active account.

An old NeoPets account that I had created about a year or so after the site's inception. I log on from time to time to see how alien it's become since I last played.

My yahoo account its about 12 years old. I have a insane amount of spam on it, I really need to switch over to gmail or hotmail.

I created a Yahoo account soon after its launch 1998ish. Had a whole meg of storage for free!
Still use it as an "email required" spam account

My Yahoo account.

It might still be my Star Wars Galaxies Account if SOE hadn't stuck their heads so far up their arse.

My Gmail account is only six years old. Six accounts are registered including social-networks. I have three Yahoos but I barely remember the address' and passwords. Because I was only 10 and jaded that year.

My oldest is Hotmail, which I still use (although not as my primary). I created it close to a decade ago.

My hotmail account which is from 1997. 15 years old.... wow... that's saying something.

Although I don't use it that much anymore, probably my Netscape.net email account.

My oldest would probably be hotmail. Im registered on somewhere between 100-110 websites. I'd like to close half of these accounts, but most websites don't give you that option.

My old yahoo account i made in 2002 , it still has all the personal and professional mails since the day i created it. Seeing the 10 years old mails make me nostalgic every time.

Back