Weekend Open Forum: What's the oldest part in your PC?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although most of us upgrade our systems regularly, it's generally uncommon to replace every single component -- even for a fresh build. Instead, parts less crucial to daily performance such as optical drives, bulk storage, cases or even power supplies are recycled over the years, serving tours through several hardware generations. Likewise with peripherals, which often remain deployed until they're busted or totally obsolete.

This week, we want to hear about the parts of your PC that have been on duty for the longest period. On my end, I think the Thermaltake Tai Chi chassis is the oldest component still in use (it's also my most regretted tech purchase), having been bought in 2005. As close second and third place picks, I recently removed a decade old 40GB Maxtor hard drive and a floppy drive from my system, though they weren't actually being used.

Permalink to story.

Pretty much a tie between the 3ghz p4 prescott and geforce 6200OC video card, and maybe the 512MB sticks of ddr400 ram. why fix what aint broke?
the hardware has been through a few psu's and hard drives, and doesnt seem to have any signs of giving up.

Don't use my PC much anymore because of a mobo problem, but the oldest part it has is either the NF-8 motherboard or the Athlon 64 processor.

A 500 GB hard drive, that's the oldest part in this machine of mine. The newest however is an Intel 520 Series SSD followed quickly by an Intel Ivybridge Core i5.

A 320gb seagate ide hdd which I seldom connect to my pentium dual core computer.
when it's connected, windows 7 login screen appears in ~15 minutes.
when it's disconnected, windows 7 login screen appears in ~52 seconds.

(although I have a windows 98se computer with 32mb edo ram on a red fox mobo + pentium 166mhz + 2.1gb hdd; still working the last time I checked it, two years ago.)

Intel Pentium III processor, it helps a lot when I can use my cellphone

I just upgraded my PC again and the only parts left remaining from my '05 build are the Antec Neo 500w PSU and my Viewsonic VX2025 monitor which is only a secondary to my Dell U2711. Despite having a GTX680, this PSU is more than enough and no reason to swap it out.

Well, the oldest part that I have is the ATI Radeon 7200 DDR, I don't remember who's the manufacturer.
Second is, the Geforce 4 MX 4000, again, don't remember the manufacturer.
Third is the frickin, friggin slow as hell Pentium 4 540 @ 3.0 GHz that comes with Dell OptiPlex GX280, which I'm still using. Boy, that thing drives me crazy.

Sound Blaster Audigy II that's been in every system I have since probably 2002. Have yet to find an on-board sound chip that does 5.1 correctly. Even sadder, I'm using the last Daniel K drivers since Creative couldn't be bothered to debug their software.

My Antec 850 PSU, the sucker's been going on for nearly 6 years now in 2 rigs. great stuff.

My second LCD monitor I been using for over 8 years now. Used to cost over 500 dollars just for it, 21" 1440x900

Your OLDEST

god my system must be getting old... thats one of the newest component of my PC. Trusty 9550 Quad core, overclocked to a 2.5, does the job with most games. Runs Planetside 2 for me along with a GTS 250.
heh, thats in an old gateway prebuilt...xD
Just got an old one from my bro with a core 2 quad and a 9600GT. Lookin foward to this one once I replace the mobo.

Got Athlon XP 2000+ on MSI Via KT333 and 256 MB ram :D
Form my desktop right now perhaps a dvd drive and 320 GB WD HD.

Would have to be two cast iron/rubber harddisk-trays from around 2002. They look like #&¤%, but keep my Velociraptor 600Gb and Caviar Black 1Tb at nearly silent operation.

I upgrade hardware one bit at a time, where an upgrade is needed to be able to play AAA-games with all the eyecandy on and loads of A.A. and A.F. So my hardware rarely gets old. As I donate my "old" hardware to family and friends, people tend to love my passion for new hardware :p

Back