Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite video game of all time?

Scorpus

Staff member

This week has been filled to the brim with gaming-related news, thanks to E3 2014 over in Los Angeles. There were plenty of new game reveals, announcements and previews, including some that to me look especially exciting: The Witcher 3, GTA V on PC, Far Cry 4, Uncharted 4, and a new Tomb Raider game just to name a few.

It got me thinking, though, about which game is the best I've ever played. I've certainly played more than just a few games over my life as both a PC and console gamer, and each year you get blessed with a number of absolute gems that would make it up there as an all-time favorite.

For me it's probably a toss-up between Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the original BioShock, and - undoubtedly a recent classic - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. But I'd like to know what you think too: what is your favorite video game of all time?

Permalink to story.

Definitely The Last of Us and it's a toss up between GTA V\San Andreas.
I prefer the story of GTA V but I think the map was better in San Andreas.

I loved those two so much I'm going to buy them for PS4 as well.

Pac-man for ps1. I could not get past a level and just gave up after almost a year. nothing made after that interested me.

Legend of Dragoon. I don't know what it is about this particular RPG, but it's the only game I consistently go back and play through, even after more than ten years. FFX would be a close second.

GTA San Andreas or Unreal Tournament 1999. I have plenty of them but these are my favorites that I can remember right now.

Windows 95: tie, pacman and tetris; runner up: reproman

windows 98 till present: starcraft: broodwar; runners up: swat 2; red alert 2; diablo 2: lod (amazing cinematics); starcraft 2: wol, hots; diablo 3: ros; left 4 dead; pvz1

Mirror's Edge. Best game ever. Finished it twice.

I keep coming back to Sacred 2, but I don't think I'll ever get to the end. 30+ hours and only a quarter of the way through.

I really couldn't be able to name just one favorite, but certainly GTA: SA and Bioshock 1 are up there in the top 10 easily, together with Deus Ex , Deus Ex Human Revolution, Doom II, Portal 2, Half Life 2, Mafia, Crysis, The Witcher, etc. Plus probably lots of games I already own but haven't played yet: Witcher 2, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, etc. And this is just talking about "recent" PC games of course. Basically any game that once you start you play several hours a day until you beat it and have a blast doing it.

On my perspective it is either the nfs porsche 2000 or age of mythology, which was recently given a HD release on steam.

I've been a gamer since my family first hooked up the black and white Pong machine to the back of the TV (yeah, I know - I'm old). So I have a LOT of gaming under my belt to reflect on.

Honorable mention: the Zork Triology, Ultima III and IV, Elite, Bioshock Series, Mass Effect Series, Legend of Zelda - a Link to the Past, L4D2, Far Cry Series, Unreal Tournament series, Goldeneye, Crysis and probably a hundred others I can't think of right now.

But the best? No contest - Fallout 3. The gigantic open world sandbox, the Washington DC wasteland setting, the storyline, the game mechanics/UI and endless NPC interactions. Just blew my mind and was like nothing I'd ever played before.

I might be dating myself here but my favourite(s) were the Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box games by SSI. I still trot them out from time to time. ♥

A lot of people are going to kill me but it is Battlefield 4 MP.
I loved Crysis, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, SanAndreas.
I think the game which you play most is your favorite. And I play BF4 daily for like 2 hours. When my internet stop working then I play some Skyrim.
And I am looking for Star Wars Battlefront, Far Cry 4, DA Inquisition.

The best game of all time: DOOM

Runner up: Street Fighter II

All you people naming common typical games like bioshock, the last of us, skyrim, really know very little about videogames

Tech changers, tastes change and so do opinions. My greatest video game at the time I played it was:

X Com

Jagged Alliance

Icewind Dale

Fallout

Morrowind

Fallout 3

Fallout:New Vegas

Many came really close: Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout 2, Boulder's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 2, Oblivion, Skyrim, Far Cry, Deus Ex, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect.

Others were not so close but might briefly feel almost good enough to be challengers. I admit to carefully reading reviews as I would rather replay a really good game than to pay a new but poorly implemented one. I prefer to buy a game when almost all of the DLC is out and available and then I grab it as a bundle. Fewer bugs.

My flavor of the decade (or 2) boils down to open world with RPG elements & clever ideas.

All you people naming common typical games like bioshock, the last of us, skyrim, really know very little about videogames
Even though I think you are possibly wrong, that still doesn't mean those games are not their favorite. Even though I do agree with you on Doom being my most favorite of all time, others have a difference of opinion. An opinion very likely based on how long they have been gaming.

Back