Weekend Open Forum: Will you upgrade to Haswell?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

open forum haswell

Intel’s fourth generation Core series processor is finally available for purchase. As Steven noted in his review of the Core i7-4770K, the level of performance from Ivy Bridge to Haswell is similar to what was observed when going from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. That’s not to say it isn’t faster all around – because it is – but don’t expect earth-shattering performance if you’re already running Ivy Bridge.

That said, however, the platform does offer compelling performance if you’re upgrading from a system that’s a few generations old or are coming from an AMD setup. But the problem for anyone coming from an Intel background is that you’ll need a new motherboard to run Haswell.

With this week’s open forum, we are curious to know if you have any plans to upgrade to Haswell. And if so, are you coming from an Intel or AMD platform? Let us know in the comments below!

Permalink to story.

Generally wait a few generations so I'll need to upgrade mobo anyway. Might wait for 9 series boards though - SATA express and queued TRIM sound worthwhile.

No, I will not upgrade. My Q9650@3.8GHz is still serving me well!
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
8GB Dominator DDR2 1066
GTX 570
Kingston 120GB SSD x2

My i7-2600k sandy was a tock. Still waiting on the next tock. To me haswell is just a tick. Come on intel u can do better.

Honestly, I have a computer from 2007. It has 125GB, 2GB or Ram and runs slow but serviceable. I am well at the limit of it's life cycle. I will buy a new laptop once Haswell is available. I just can't hold off any longer.

Generally wait a few generations so I'll need to upgrade mobo anyway. Might wait for 9 series boards though - SATA express and queued TRIM sound worthwhile.
Likewise for me- although that depends on how fast the add-in components fare in evolution and price.

While I'm a serial upgrader of GPUs and storage, CPUs don't generally offer that much of a tangible reason to upgrade for me. The workloads just aren't that time critical. Overclocking fun and tweaking decrease even as UEFI BIOS options seem to multiply exponentially, and "must have" features are very few and far between in processor/chipset evolution.

Having said that, I don't think I'm the target audience for a Haswell upgrade (2600K @ 4.7 / Z77 / 16GB RAM), but I'm sure that an ADHD afflicted compulsive multitasker presently using a dual core might consider it manna from heaven.

Yes, I will upgrade to i7-4470K + GTX-780 soon, from my i7-860 + HD-5870 that I've had since late 2009, and which served me very well.

On desktop....no. my 3570k is brand new, and will probably be in that computer for a good 6-8 years. my laptop, on the other hand? ill be getting an iris pro laptop the moment I can find one. the improvement over intel hd 4000 is ginormous.

I've already scored higher than several overclocked i7-4770k systems in XTU benchmark standings, 20th in the world at the moment in the unlimited 4-core (no rules), and did it with my 3570K@4800/1.4v on H100 cooling. So I really have no reason to upgrade, except I want to anyway so I can see how far I can push the new hardware.

Really need an upgrade, 4GB DDR2, 1GB 460 and x2 555 BE @ 3.6Ghz (can't even have 4Ghz or unlock cores, shitty mobo). My Cosmos 2 is sitting there, need to start modding it before gear arrives just no idea what color scheme.

Anyway, no Haswell for me, maybe 4930k or 3930k when 4930k comes out but il hold of few months and see what else comes out. If the next tock is significant enough, might go for that.

I will not upgrade at this time. 2500k is doing just fine @4.4ghz, it can blaze through encodes fast enough and play all the newest games, so why bother? I think I'll upgrade when Maxwell hits and just do a whole new build.

I am gonna build a Haswell based system in a few weeks. I will be upgrading from a i7-740QM to a desktop platform Core i5 4670K.

Nope. The good ol' Ivy i7 is doing just fine.
Maybe I'll upgrade in another generation or so. Maybe.

No thanks. I'm happy with my X6 1100T, it's a welcome upgrade from my Athlon. Sure I might be a bit behind, but it's done way better than my dual-core. Need a GPU upgrade and I'm fine.

No, my old i3-530 with NVidia 9800gt and newer i5-3570k with no discrete video card are enough for my needs.
-
(I am looking though to buy NVidia gtx660 as suggested by JC713.)
(I've been to the city 5x and only NVidia gtx650 is available.)

No, my old i3-530 with NVidia 9800gt and newer i5-3570k with no discrete video card are enough for my needs.
-
(I am looking though to buy NVidia gtx660 as suggested by JC713.)
(I've been to the city 5x and only NVidia gtx650 is available.)

Get one when the 760 is released next week. That will drive down 600 series prices.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking not. I have a Bloomfield Intel i7-960 and it seems to be doing just fine with what I need it for. I thought Haswell was going to be some major leap, but it's just a bit of a jump over the last generation.

When I feel my machine moaning and groaning to accomplish what I need it to - I'll upgrade then.

I'm expecting to upgrade to i5-4570, 2 GTX 650 Ti Boost in SLI (2 GTX 750?), and 16 GB of RAM by August 7th. I've been stuck with a Core 2 Duo @2.33 GHz, 9800 GT, and 4 GB of RAM for almost 5 years. I don't understand all that complain about Haswell OC when stock vs stock can even beat the i7-3960X; I mean, for same clock frequency and same instructions it can gain by a margin of 10% compared to IB... that's something huge these days!!!

I think the only ones with the right of criticizing here are other computer architects who have a notion of how a pain in the *** is to get those improvements and still mantain the whole legacy support (almost 1500 mnemonics in total in the instruction set by now); even Intel's "basic" Volume 1 architecture manual is a bitter pill to swallow and the instructions are not even detailed there (only mentioned) and is a huge manual; now finding optimizations that keep improving with the same compiled programs and same clock speeds, that's huge!

On desktop not worthy and laptop maybe but thats only if they can offer an ultrabook with a normal i7 bcuz that ultra low power processors are crap, their performance its really low....

On desktop not worthy and laptop maybe but thats only if they can offer an ultrabook with a normal i7 bcuz that ultra low power processors are crap, their performance its really low....
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Back