TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: 10 reasons not to buy an iPad for students

By Matthew
Jul 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. 10 reasons not to buy an iPad for students With summer coming slowly to a close, that means back-to-school shopping is in full swing. Your college-bound child is probably in the…

Read the whole story
  2. What are the odds this DBag works for Micro$oft? I bet 10squids he does.
    Word of wisdom: Articles like these does nothing to sway nobody...they only shows how bias one is.
  3. It's easy to spot an Apple fanboy.
  4. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

I'm an apple fan. I eat a red delicious every day with lunch! :)
  5. Sound like pretty legitimate reasons to me (and yes, I own an iPad) - the truth hurts doesn't it?
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Wow, a lolcat that learned to type.
  7. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,060   +84 Staff Member

I'd say minimal to nonexistent.

What are the odds you work for Apple?
  8. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,895   +88

:haha: +1
  9. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,848   +677

Reason #11
    Apple's software either doesn't support spell/grammar checking, or you need an I.Q. approaching average -at the very least-to utilize it.
  10. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,895   +88

:haha:

....Irony or biting satire?

You decide.
  11. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,533   +315

In my opinion, at least half of those are crappy reasons... "apps are too distracting"??

The other half are valid nonetheless, and it doesn't take a genius to understand that text input on the iPad or any tablet is a pain and that in general, any laptop will be more useful than any tablet for content creation. Tablets are great for certain kind of content consumption (web browsing, reading, etc.) and are supplemental to what you can do with an actual computer. At least that's the way it is for now.

12. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

To me #2 "It's Not the Best Solution for Note-Taking or Editing Documents" is the best reason for me to choose a laptop over a tablet of any type. Allot of the other reasons, if you can call them that, can also apply to laptops as well IMO. I will say this line sums it all up and applys to all tablets in general
    "It's not a "productivity tool" and it's certainly not a laptop replacement."
  13. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

I actually talked my boss out of buying her son a ipad instead of a laptop. I told her a laptop would be far more useful for about the same amount of money.
  14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,680   +880

I wax nostalgic for the old days, when the iPad simply didn't exist.

Nowadays, I'd simply tell the entitlement addicted little sociopaths, to sell drugs off their paper route for extra money, then buy their own god forsaken piece of iCrap.

I guess the internet has killed paper routes, hasn't it? Yeah well, tough s***.

Still working on your personal version of English. I see. Or maybe this in "Trollian". Anybody out there that can interpret this gibberish?
    Isn't the rule about double negatives taught in 3rd grade, or thereabouts?

Anyway, an iPad is what happens after your iPhone gets boned by a Kindle.....;)
  15. Not a fanboy, but i'll say that because there are those who will always buy the newest from companies like apple, we all get to enjoy the tech trickle down and buy similar devices from other companies. Also, keep in mind that because apple releases new devices like clock work, the competitors try to keep up and also improve their devices, thus driving ever new tech. :)

nuf said.
  16. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 679   +46

As a college senior, i can tell you that an ipad wouldn't help at all in class or for homework/papers. For most papers I do tons of multitasking on my computer, and an Ipad would make that extremely difficult. For in class, 50% of my classes don't allow computers, or any electronics. I go to John jay college in Manhattan fyi.
  17. So do I, iPad 2.
  18. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,848   +677

I think the trick would be to find someone conversant with "Trollian" (i.e. nursed on meth-laced breast milk), but whose brain cell loss rate has slowed sufficiently (i.e. early weaning to Mountain Dew) to still convey the information in a semblance of the English language.

Look on the bright side, another half-generation of so (around 5.5 years in some area's) and most of these people won't have the concentration levels required to go from "quote/reply", add the requite hieroglyphics, and then the hit "submit"
  19. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Ok, so setting aside my negative feelings for Apple:

What isn't expensive? Though I do have to agree that the iPad definitely ranks up there. I personally would go for some of the less pricy tablets, but you have to remember that you get what you pay for.

Neither is any other tablet. As much as I love tablets, let's face it...this isn't what they were meant for unless you have a keyboard or dock of some sort.

This applies to all laptops and tablets. I can't tell you how many people I saw in my college classes playing solitare while the teacher was giving a lecture...or even IMing (which made it look like they were actually following along, lol).

So is any tablet and netbook. Laptops are more likely dropped falling out of a backpack or while being moved from one person to the next, so I will say that tablets probably get dropped more than laptops. And if you drop a desktop...well...you don't deserve to own a computer, lol.

Um...this is true for any piece of electronic equipment. Next:

Partly true, but once again, this would apply to any smartphone and smaller laptop and any other tablet.

I can't really say much in this area (lacking experience and research) other than this applies to all tablets and laptops.

I've yet to develop an opinion on this one. What the article said was true, but this just seems like one of those half-@ssed reasons you pull out of your @ss when you have nothing else to come up with...sorry, but that's just how I see it :p

This is true for any new technology, but the iPad is kind of the leader in making it's successor obsolete very quickly.

See number 8

So overall, as much negativity as I have for Apple, i'm going to have to be the mature adult and say this article should have been renamed "10 reasons not to buy A TABLET for students." Whether it's an iPad or not makes no difference. And this is coming from a guy who loves tablets, lol.
  20. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Bet you feel icky now coming to Apples defense ;)

Pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did. I will say that i think #8 is the the biggest reason why kids these days want an iPad or any other tablet for that matter, nor sure if would say its a reason not to buy it though.
  21. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

@Matrix86 Reasoning 2, Cue Asus Transformer XD

But yes, very true at your last comment. When I shared it on facebook I sort of mentioned it was more of a tablet thing and not just an iPad thing.
  22. Its July! Summer is hardly 'coming to a close'.
  23. yRaz

yRaz TS Booster Posts: 907   +94

I still haven't found a good reason to buy an iPad.
  24. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 317   +18

A netbook in reality is probably the best for students. This is for them in general since it's almost as portable as a tablet but more than a laptop, has a keyboard and the ablity to still BS(with flash even) when class gets too boring. Personal, I would want an uber laptop even though it would be bulky, but that's just nerdy me.
  25. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,913   +362

so in other words...the ipad really is a giant ipod touch. amirite?
    (im jking-i know the few differences well)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.