Weekend tech reading: A love-hate relationship with Firefox

By Matthew
Aug 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Admit it. You are in a love-hate relationship with Firefox. Either Mozilla gets Firefox right and you are jumping up and down, or Mozilla screws up and you threaten to ditch the browser in favor of Chrome. Mozilla's passionate user…

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,732   +289

Stopping piracy at this point really is almost impossible.

Anyway, my request of Firefox is just to make it stable. I don't need any features BEFORE stability, I just need it to work consistently, as of right now it hangs and crashes and has 30 second freezes. I just want a stable browser and I cant bother switching to the layout of a different one.
    Route44 likes this.
  3. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +43

I'm 100% with smasher, stability is the key, anything else is just fluff & stuff! Personally I dropped Mozilla some time back due to stability alone! I was tired of the freeze up's, lock up's, hang times and such. So months ago I uninstalled Firefox and said hello to Google Chrome and haven't looked back!
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

When FF switched to this stupid dashboard, I officially ended my use of it. The first few times I tried it, I couldn't even figure out how to switch pages.

Why would you automatically enable something so *****ic?
  5. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Love gamestop? Hardly.
  6. Dustyn

Dustyn Newcomer, in training Posts: 31

There are FAR better alternatives to Firefox than Chrome... it's Opera.
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,732   +289

Opera is not a "better alternative" if you need a lightweight browser.
  8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 785   +86

What dashboard? I don't think I've noticed it O_o
  9. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,138   +281 Staff Member

I mostly love Firefox :) Which is why I still use it.
  10. Admit it. Firefox is still the best browser, and you go sucked into la la land.
  11. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,574   +41

Gamestop sucks, if you want to be able to return a none working game shop at walmart. Gamestop won't take back any duds they sell. Not even brand new games, I got fooled once and will never shop there again. Dont sell your games there either, sell them on ebay.
  12. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 881   +52

Love Foxfire when it's working, dislike it when it doesn't.
  13. @Tekkaraiden: That's an odd way to say you love Firefox 100% of the time.

14. gwailo247

I dunno. I have version 11.

Wait, its updating right now...now I have version 14...updating again...now 15.

You can turn it on/off with CTRL ALT SHIFT D (as I found out today). It sucks and I don't like it.
  15. Why use only one browser ?
  16. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

I use Firefox all the time as my main browser. Don't have much if any problems. Adblock, flashblock and noscript ftw!
  17. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

"Internet pirates will always win"

If you have nothing to gain from piracy e.g. content is accessible (I.e. easy to access and more convenient) and you are not restricted by crappy DRM rules, piracy wouldn't flourish as much. Sure there will still be some but most people really wouldn't bother to pirate if you made legit use easier.
  18. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

I will say I don't really have a love hate relationship with firefox. For me, it's worked and done nothing but that. So what if once in a while a release crashes. They've always been pretty quick to spot the issue and fix it. As for rapid release.. To blame a rapid release for people jumping ship to chrome is a completely stupid notion. Think about that one. People are leaving firefox because of the rapid release to chrome which also has a rapid release system. Yeah.. .ok..

I have noticed one issue though. On my lapotp firefox seems to hate ATI cards... or ATI drivers seem to hate firefox. Honestly, I blame ATI... They've always had crap for software support. Their hardware are pretty good though.

Before anyone bashes... I didn't trash anyone else's opinion so be a man and respect mine. :D
  19. @gwailo247, too bad Firefox is only on RC 14.0.1... And this Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D does not work... I don't know what you are talking about when you say dashboard...
  20. Steam is a testament to the fact that piracy doesn't always win and that people will buy software when it is fairly priced.
    ikesmasher likes this.
  21. FF freezes 7 seconds each startup of it for me, wtf are they doing I dont want fluff.
  22. sapo joe

sapo joe TechSpot Member Posts: 80

I love Waterfox, and for me, it's Firefox on 64-bit steroids. It's fast, stable, has all the great plugins, etc...
  23. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +96

Chrome is my top choice for Flash-based websites and web applications.
  24. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +70

Personally I can't stand FF. I gave it up for Chrome over a year ago, and haven't looked back. I've never had any issues with Chrome like I did with FF, IE, or Opera.

Different users have different tastes. Tomato, tomahto, it doesn't make a sh** as long as it works for you, and you're happy with it. Stick with what suits your needs.
  25. gwailo247

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.