Weekend tech reading: AMD's notebook prospects are looking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Why AMD's notebook prospects are looking up If you're looking for notebook power on the cheap and you're not too keen on either using Intel's integrated graphics or paying for a higher-performing, NVIDIA-made workaround (I.e., Optimus), then there's an obvious alternative mobile platform for you: AMD/ATI. AMD is gaining steam in the mobile space... Ars Technica

HP Hurricane webOS tablet may be released in 3rd quarter We first speculated that since HP bought out Palm, they would come out wth a webOS tablet. According to many industry insiders, this appears to be more of a reality now. An insider at HP tells us that a webOS tablet under the code name HP Hurricane could be released the third quarter of this year. Examiner

White Pages may go way of rotary-dialed phone The digital age may claim another victim. The residential White Pages, those inches-thick tomes of fine-print telephone listings that may be most useful as doorstops, could stop landing with a thud on doorsteps across New York later this year. NY Times

Facebook’s gone rogue; It’s time for an open alternative Facebook has gone rogue, drunk on founder Mark Zuckerberg’s dreams of world domination. It’s time the rest of the web ecosystem recognizes this and works to replace it with something open and distributed. Wired

Report: Apple developing a Flash alternative The heated battle between Apple and Adobe Systems over Flash may get a bit more interesting, as reports of a Flash alternative being developed by Apple begin to surface. The technology, called Gianduia, was introduced by Apple last summer at its World of WebObjects Developer Conference, according to an AppleInsider report. Gianduia is described as being "a client-side, standards-based framework for rich Internet apps." CNET

Hacker brings Android to the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS up next Much like the open platform Windows invaded the traditionally closed hardware platform of Apple's Macs -- first unofficially, and then later officially condoned -- Android is now establishing a beach head on Apple's coveted iPhone. DailyTech

Permalink to story.

I can't wait to see facebook go down... it was awesome when it was just for university/college people but now the site is full of trash. But I guess that's what happens when greed takes over and people see a money-making opportunity. I don't think they're taking into account the number of people who will leave if they introduce monthly fees or "personalised ads" or other similar crap.

I don't get why facebook got into the topic, but yes.. AMD's notebook is quite good. It's good since it's very portable and small and very comfortable to use. It is for the people who need to use a computer often but not for people who want to do such complicated things on the computer.

I was surprised to see the rumour of WebOS getting into an HP device so soon. If true it's certainly impressive.

The Facebook article is actually a little incorrect. Other than the new thing where you HAVE to sign up to a page related to information on your profile or else all your information is deleted, everything else was dead wrong. There is quite a large bit of privacy settings you can change. Yes, they are a pain in the @$$ to get to (not user friendly) but they are there. And the people who say "you're only saying that because you clearly work for Facebook" need to grow up and actually check out their privacy settings.

Like I said, NOT user friendly AT ALL, but they are all there.

Indeed, Facebook does have a privacy control panel that is rich and flexible, with a myriad of options that let you configure who sees what or has access to that information.

The problem is with their recent change/addition that opts you in for a number of external services (you have to explicitly opt out, the default setting is 'on') and opens the door for further privacy invasion. People that have read FB's TOS in detail argue that even if you were to opt out of those services, by extension some of your information could still be filtered through your friends.

This somewhat resembles the Facebook privacy fiasco from a few years ago and raises the point of their approach and ultimate goal for all the personal information they collect from its users. The difference today is that Facebook is the undisputed leader in social networking, while back then it was trailing Myspace and could not afford the bad press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back