Weekend tech reading: CA online impersonation law now effective

By Matthew
Jan 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Analysis: California's online impersonation law, effective January 1 One thing that reached new heights of both stupidity and tragedy in 2010 was the trend of online impersonation. If you're shaking your USB-enabled cane and shouting "there oughta be a law" in between pre-NYE shots of Metamucil, then you're in luck. As of January 1, 2011, California's first online impersonation law – SB 1411 – goes into effect, making malicious digital impersonation a misdemeanor that comes with fines up to $1000 and/or up to a year in jail. ZDNet

Read the whole story
  2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

My Hotmail accounts been acting funny these past few days. I had a feeling it was something like this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

Interesting and poignant collection of articles - especially to start the New Year. Unlawful digital impersonation, Wiki-leaks (again), Hotmail issues (can't believe Hotmail is still around), bad DRM finally gone, illegal GPS tracking and even vaporware Duke Nukem news.

I'm definitely waiting for Duke Nukem release and reviews before I buy. Considering all the years in development, turmoil amongst the various developers along with high expectations, and from what I've read in previews in a couple of gaming magazines, it looks suspect at best.
  4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

Shame, had I read this a day earlier, I would've bought Settlers 7 from STEAM. Oh well, their loss.
  5. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

I love the duke nukem prices. The PC version costs less than the console one. This should be the case with every effing game.
  6. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor TS Rookie Posts: 49

Hotmail used to delete all your emails if you didn't sign in for X amount of days and you had to "restore" your account. It was never exactly the safest place to keep anything you wanted to hold onto. Your old one from the 90s can sure make a nice junk mail address, though. :p
  7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Your article snippet says May 31st, but does not specify year...
  8. princeton

It says we could have it in 5 months. I think dora the explorer could do that math.
  9. does dora understand irony??
  10. princeton

The whole Duke Nukem Never thing is over. FYI people stopped finding the jokes funny back in 2004. It's 2011 now if you haven't noticed.
  11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Was there a poll?

I'm always amazed at people's ability to make absolute sweeping statements that encompass the whole human race.
  12. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Nobody can dis Nukem with quotes like, "My boot, your face, the perfect couple". :D
  13. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Didn't think you had it in you, Techspot. Great bunch of articles.