Weekend tech reading: Deciphering AMD's new GPU roadmap

By Matthew
Feb 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Reports surfaced last weekend that AMD's graphics roadmap for 2013 would keep the Radeon HD 7000 series "stable" throughout the year. The news came out in an unusual way, via an interview with a Japanese website and then several tweets...

Read more
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,781   +638

A+ for AMD's obfuscation.

So, HD 7000 remains the "focus"....
    Look for the HD 7970 GHz Edition to be superseded by the HD 7970 with dynamic boost (HD 7980?) ! along with the rest of upper tier models. Sounds as though the HD8000's are going to limited to OEM rebrands, mobile, and big emphasis on lower end desktop that can use the same GPU as the mobile models.
    The loss of market share in notebooks to Nvidia must have really stung.
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Mini-rant about the Apple Podcast App:

I agree fully - this app makes me want to kill my work iPhone. It is a disgrace.

From work, I got the iPhone and I downloaded the podcast app with glee. I remember always hearing about how podcasts were essentially the lovechild of iPods and music and how iPods always did them best. Oh how wrong of me to think that. Here are just a few things wrong with it:

- It doesn't allow the use of double-tap-home-button music controls all the time. Maybe.. 60% of the time.
    - It crashes. A lot.
    - Doesn't download podcasts as designed. I've tried wifi, mobile network, plugged in, not..
    - There is no progress bar. There is no timer. You have no idea how long is left on the podcast.

Not counting Maps, this is truly the most un-Apple experience I've had with the iPhone. Apple, son, I am disapoint.
  4. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

The BIG question now is, will Nvidia also slow down and not release any new high end products until 20nm next year?

Or will they just take advantage of the gap in AMD's roadmap and launch the 880/870 so they can grab more market share?

My bet is on Nvidia taking the lazy route. But that's just a feeling, and I'd love some concrete info or even just informed guesses / hard rumors...
  5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,781   +638

I think Nvidia were already committed to a refresh of Kepler (GK114 etc.). If that is the case then the wafers are likely already being laid down
    A big hint is the fact that the GTX Titan carries no model number. A GK114 series of parts would be GTX 780/770/760 Ti. Assuming no radical redesign of the basic die (and that is likely), then Nvidia have the opportunity to launch earlier to pre-empt any AMD revision- or more likely IMO- stockpile the GPUs until current inventory has been exhausted. If Nvidia have a need to increase market presence then they have the option of discounting the present series -which would be out of character for Nvidia, or just slotting in the new parts when and where they are needed.
    My guess is that the newer parts would likely be diverted to mobile if AMD are looking to push back into that segment using the Solar System based parts.
  6. Hitman series is decades one of a gem....if stupid revs says it's bad then they should go and play simple,easy,mainstream run-gunner as cod /bf3/crysis(only 4 graphics haha)...portal or hitman-they just don't have the mind to play

give l-gamer Martin a bell-"That's right Crytek. Make the game as shiny as possible,maybe then the people won't notice the shallow as **** game play and sub par story"

and also,bf3-slow run-gunner(better graphics),cod(fast run gunner) but both have shallow as **** gameplay (as gamers with fast hands but no minds,pull trigger and turbo enemies)..

even some devs agreed that mainstream fps brought marketing and money but destroyed intelligent games as a whole...hell even cod bo2 sells billion units and ign always gives it above 9...stupid as **** dollars and propaganda
    true traditional gaming been destroyed by moronic,easy,and straightforward shooters for marketing and dollars...
  7. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

I had a bad feeling this was going to happen. I'm afraid of Nvidia getting laxy and not releasing anything besides the Titan this year. I want another 680 or a 690 but the prices aren't going down without a new lineup.
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

In my new system here has the 7000 series not bad better than prior ones I've used 3200HD and up.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.