Weekend tech reading: Diablo III coming in early February?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Best Buy thinks Diablo 3 is coming out on February 1, 2012 Best Buy apparently believes Diablo 3 isn't far off from launch in North America, as a Rochester, Minnesota-based Twitter user spotted a display for the game in a local Best Buy store showing a February 1 launch for the game alongside a countdown timer. The image was subsequently picked up and pushed to Twitter, where we first saw it. Bizarrely, the tweet has since been pulled... Joystiq

The joy of Microsoft's 'avoid ghetto' GPS patent Pedestrians have sometimes felt neglected when it comes to GPS directions. Indeed, not so long ago, one lady sued Google because the directions its map offered led her (she believed) to be struck by a car. Now Microsoft has been granted a patent that is designed to make its maps more pedestrian-friendly. CNET

CES: Vizio aims low-price wrecking ball at PCs Vizio Inc., the television maker that helped drive higher-cost rivals out of the business with rock- bottom prices, plans to bring the same mayhem to the personal- computer market. Vizio will unveil two desktop PCs and three notebooks at the Consumer Electronics Show... Bloomberg

Hacked memo leaked: Apple, Nokia, RIM supply backdoors for gov't intercept? Previously a group of Indian hackers called The Lords of Dharmaraja had posted documents that were pillaged during the hack of an Indian military network. That Pastebin post was removed, but can be viewed via Google cache. Computerworld

Lost in BYOD's uncharted legal waters The majority of businesses now allow employees to choose -- or even bring -- their own mobile devices rather than require the use of corporate-issued units. The BYOD phenomenon quickly moved from a "not in my business" option in 2010 to the de facto standard in 2011. InfoWorld

US threatened to blacklist Spain for not implementing site blocking law In a leaked letter sent to Spain’s outgoing President, the US ambassador to the country warned that as punishment for not passing a SOPA-style file-sharing site blocking law, Spain risked being put on a United States trade blacklist . TorrentFreak

New Star Wars: The Old Republic patch adds anti-aliasing BioWare has released the Version 1.1 beta patch for Star Wars: The Old Republic, and with it fixes for a variety of quibbles and bugs. Adding a new Flashpoint, new bosses, and support for anti-aliasing, the patch also... Games On Net

‘Ubuntu TV’ to be Revealed at CES An Ubuntu-powered internet TV is Canonical’s mystery ‘Ubuntu Concept Design’. The prototype device will be shown off during next weeks Consumer Electronics Show. Canonical CEO Jane Silber, talking to BBC News, was upbeat of the event... OMG Ubuntu

Apple to open new store-within-a-store outlets inside Target this year According to a source familiar with Apple's plans, the company plans to begin operating Apple-branded areas within 25 larger Target stores in locations which can't support a standalone Apple Store. AppleInsider

Last, but certainly not least, a reader has emailed us asking to rally support for the PC porting of Dark Souls, a recently launched spiritual successor to the hardcore RPG Demon's Souls.

Permalink to story.

Apple starting to setup stores within another store?

What happened to "Apple Authorised" sellers....

I don't believe Diablo 3 will be released in February.

As a beta tester, they are currently on Patch 9. By comparison Starcraft 2 beta had about 18 patches. The game also doesn't feel nearly close to being ready for launch, especially for a Blizzard title. Bugs are still visible every time you play. The "remember account" checkbox at the login screen doesn't even work.

I'm sure they're just skipping over small issues like that to focus on the bigger bugs in the game, as that's a pretty quick fix. But if small issues like that aren't fixed, that would imply they are still working on bigger, worse, bugs. If that's true then they are absolutely not releasing in February.

There's nothing that leads me to believe it will be released in February, but multiple things that lead me to believe it won't. So that's the basis for why I'm saying it won't release in February.

Also, on the Diablo 3 forums, it was said by a Community Manager that the Diablo 3 team was taking time off for the break to spend with family over the holidays, etc. If they were releasing in February there is no way they would be taking that much time off. A February release is overall, simply unrealistic.

sc2 was announced like 2 months before release so I expect d3 to follow suit
treetosps

if you actually did you research, you would in fact KNOW diablo 3 IS coming soon,

i just logged into battle.net after recovering my account for my cousin to play on, and it was one of the first things that showed up under "game accounts"

Guest said:
if you actually did you research, you would in fact KNOW diablo 3 IS coming soon,

i just logged into battle.net after recovering my account for my cousin to play on, and it was one of the first things that showed up under "game accounts"

I don't know that that constitutes research but let's for a moment suppose it does. It still doesn't really provide any information such as a timetable or date or anything really that hasn't already been stated. Soon is a relative term whereas a date is very definite.

I truly believe Diablo III will be released in 2013.

This year, we're going to have StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Maybe, Diablo III will be available for Holidays.

That's it guys, I'm sorry.

Cheers!

I'm pumped for Diablo III. The later it comes out, the better for me. I need to gather funds to upgrade my computer before I could fully appreciate the beauty of slaying countless demons on maximum settings. My current graphics card is barely above integrated.

Back