TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Ending the Internet's trench warfare

By Matthew
Mar 21, 2010
  1. Ending the Internet's trench warfare Imagine that for $33 a month you could buy Internet service twice as fast as what you get from Verizon or Comcast, bundled with digital high-definition television, unlimited long distance and international calling to 70 countries and wireless Internet connectivity for your laptop or smartphone throughout much of the country. The NY Times

Read the whole story

2. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

That Wrapsol video was a complete failure. You can see at the end when they are examining it, at 2:40, that the phone has actually split apart. For a moment you can even see the backside of the green PCB in there.

4. Thompson

Thompson TS Rookie Posts: 65

@ NYT Article:

QQ More, look at Australian internet then cry your little eye out about American internet, shut your damn face NYT snobs.

5. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

Not the most constructive comment ever Thompson. But the state of internet accesss in Australia is generally worse than it is in the USA. However the government here have their NBN (National Broadband Network) scheme thing going. So hopefully in a couple of years we here in Australia should be up their with some of the better connected countries.

6. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,104   +111

I'm glad that for about 15-20 dollars i can get 10+ Mbps in my country with no caps or other restrictions.
    At work i can get as much as 5MBps when downloading. (that's MB not Mb). I'm not sure but i think it costs about 500$ to get this kind of fiber optics in your house.

7. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Member Posts: 89

Thats a battery cover that was taken off by the sticky wrapsol...

8. bigclick

bigclick TS Rookie Posts: 49

IMAGINE that for $33 a month you could buy Internet service twice as fast as what you get from Verizon or Comcast, bundled with digital high-definition television, unlimited long distance and international calling to 70 countries and wireless Internet connectivity for your laptop or smartphone throughout much of the country. That’s what you can buy in France, and similar speeds and prices are available in other countries with competitive markets.

I'm imaginating as hard as I can and I can't imagine anything below 69.99. And that's pretty hazey.

9. bigclick

bigclick TS Rookie Posts: 49

Viacom? Give me a break. They post to uTube when it suits them and gets angry if you do it "for" them. I've had clips of clips taken down due to Viacom protest. You'd think they wanted exposure. But nOooo...

10. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Excuse me? So because your country is worse off regarding the internet no one else can complain about there poor service? Give me a break...the NYT article was on point regarding the US and its dismal services. If you have a problem with yours go raise awareness of it and stop foolishly bashing others.

11. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I agree with freedom of speech, but it is very difficult to get a straight answer on who is paying for certain studies and research - which almost always has an influence on the outcome :p Thanks for the extra link.

12. megrawab

megrawab TS Rookie Posts: 93

Why are they selling this kinds of memort card... I thought phones are very less capable of having a virus...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.