Weekend tech reading: Examining the 'evidence' against Megaupload

By Matthew
Jan 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Megaupload details raise significant concerns about what DOJ considers evidence of criminal behavior Having spent some more time going through the indictment in much greater detail, I have some more thoughts…

Read the whole story
  2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Who thought Alan Wake on PC would be a good idea? I'm not sure what's a sillier idea, claiming to be atheist on one of the most pious countries in the world, or bringing a failure of a console game to the PC.
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 876   +80

"Man faces five years for ?God does not exist? Facebook post "

Are you ****ing Kidding me, some religious Judge was pissed I take it.
  4. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 523   +9

"How U.S. lost out on iPhone work" was a fantastic article
  5. jester376

jester376 TechSpot Member Posts: 53

On, the MegaUpload part, I think this was the government's backup plan if SOPA and PIPA failed. To start targeting the major file sharing servers and domains. To create distrust between them and the people. Unfortunately, this just creates more distrust between the government and the people, not that that didn't already exist anyway. And to boot, most of the government's "evidence" on MegaUpload seems to be a crock of BS and they weren't really breaking any laws to begin with.
  6. The end of the internets seems near the way things go right now, that's what happen when the greed's take control over the world.

2012 might not be the end of the world but might be the end of the internet as we know it.

Internets Armageddon is near.
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I've never played the game because I don't own a console, but I've had friends that played it tell me it's a good game. Could you elaborate on why you feel the game is a failure?
  8. Why hasn't Techspot talked about ACTA? It is much much much worse than SOPA or PIPA. People, spread the news, stop ACTA.
  9. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 295

"Man faces five years for ?God does not exist? Facebook post"

This doesn't make any sense. The man put up a post on facebook about what he believed, then was beaten by a dozen people, and then after has to serve a sentence of 5 years in jail! This is in no way shape or form ethical. Yeah, he shouldn't be saying those things (don't start accusing me of anything, I'm an Christian)
  10. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,390   +16

Good catch with that NYT article Matt.

It sold over a million and received good reviews, so I wouldn't exactly call Alan Wake a failure. Personally I found it pretty decent, but ya it wasn't anywhere near what it could have been if they just focused on the PC. Looks more like they are trying to mend some fences with the PC community after the fallout of a 360 exclusive.

I'd say it's government just showing that they still support the rightsholders rather than a backup plan for a flawed legislation that wasn't fully supported by everyone to begin with.
  11. Well, Filesonic Just pulled its own plug. can only download and upload your personal files.
  12. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,572   +41

Will show you our peaceful loving god exists! Lets beat him up! I was shocked until I noticed they weren't talking about America.
  13. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Same reason why Duke Nukem Forever was a failure. So much time to think, so little accomplished.

14. Filesonic have stop sharing data..just upload and download personal files with password...
    who is next ???
  15. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 743   +14

The shortage of scientific people in the us is real. At my white trash 2 year college, only 14% earn their associates degree let alone bachelors. Only 50% of us are even graduating high school. When I was 21, I had 4 bachelors degrees. What will these people do? In high school, we played tackle football in gym class without helmets and uniforms, and not wanting to got you labeled a sissy. I think schools push sports because the military wants recruits; a failed system $85 trillion in debt and costing the taxpayer $1 million a person per year to make minimum wage. Smarten up, america. Glad I never had any children.
  16. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 743   +14

The muslim based law in Iran says you can be actually put to death if you leave your religion. Here in the us we have the irony that religions are pro life. Always an extemist view.
  17. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

From what I've (or haven't) read, I'd say your comment and those games have a lot in common.
  18. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

@"Megaupload details raise significant concerns about what DOJ considers evidence of criminal behavior"

I think that brings up some very good points that I hadn't even thought of. It looks like the DoJ is just piling on charges that could look bad in the wrong light, but the opposite side is never take into account. Now I know for a fact pirated material gets uploaded onto sharing sites like Megaupload, but I really feel the responsibly to watch for pirated material should mostly fall on the copy write holder not the site it ends up on. They are not running a business dedicated to sharing copy write information illegally - they are running a file sharing website that is getting abused.

Also saw it pointed out on an article about how many very nice cars are owned between the lop 5 or 6 people in the company as evidence "they must be up to something shady". Since when has making lots of money and enjoying nice things be illegal?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.