TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: GTX 690 unveiled, and why is Ivy Bridge so hot?

By Matthew
Apr 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia unveils GeForce GTX 690: Dual GK104 flagship launching May 3rd As we mentioned back on Monday, Nvidia was going to be making some kind of GeForce announcement this evening at...

Read the whole story

2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Translation: A bunch of *****s suicide low cost ships into anyone stupid enough to be in a high-cost ship while this is happening.

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

The GTX 690 is a damn sexy card for a reference design.
    Still way overpriced at $999 for downclocked GTX 680 SLI. For that price I'd expect 4GB of VRAM per GPU and the same clock (and clock potential) of the single cards*. I'd guess that the 1k pricetag is all about maximizing the marketing potential via tech site reviews without having to worry about producing many cards for the retail channel.

* Talking of which, multiple sources are listing specifications of the two unreleased Kepler cards of interest to the majority...as a realistic purchase - the GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti

[​IMG]

[Sources: OBR , WCCF, Videocardz , and some bonus 690 content from TPU -snappy SLI bridge]

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

This card does look quite nice if it is just barely slower than 680 SLI. If that's the case and it had come out at the same time as the 680 then I probably would have considered this over the 680s just for future potential.

5. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 387   +53

I think at one point I was considering a mobo/processor upgrade at Ivy Bridge. Not feeling up to it right now. Maybe next year.

6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Urgh... looks like this period of terrible performance/price ratio for GPUs is here to stay. No doubt AMD will price their 7990 around $899.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

"However, when we pushed to 4.9GHz on 1.35V, the temperature soared past 100°C. (With a single-fan air tower)"

Isn't it funny that:
    a) we can do this
    b) we actually complain about it

8. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

+1 gwailo
    I was thinking on similar lines. OC is for those want 'something extra' without having to spend 'more' anyway, so one can't find any fault with the manufacturer in this respect. Also, how can it be worthy of news? At best may be point of discussion on some OC boards/forums.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 203   +8

Christ, look at the stats on that card! I want. Imagine two in SLI... terrifying.
    Glad to see theyre trying to mimmic two 680s instead of 660s.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,393   +1,587

I've been thinking the whole time that Ivy doesn't have a temperature problem. There maybe thermal caps intentionally engineered by Intel but who can blame them. If you want a major performance boost from LGA1155 go with a LGA2011 and be done with it. If you can OC a processor great but don't complain about it if temperatures are a greater problem than the last generation.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.