TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Haswell starts shipping to PC makers

By Matthew
Apr 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Intel's "Haswell" chip is now shipping to major PC makers, a source close to the company told CNET today. Intel's fourth-generation core, aka Haswell, is "shipping to customers now and will launch later this quarter," the source said. Intel is...

Read more

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 639   +127

I'm going to try saying this without trying to sound too dismissive about a toy that holds the attention of the average slack-jawed gimp for about a month before it's thrown into a draw or cupboard and completely forgotten about and has been said to have exactly the same functionality as a laptop, so long as you buy and carry around with you at all times a significantly large amount of extras to the tune of the value of an actual functional laptop.

Can't the same statement be used to describe Tamagotchis, Pokémon, Facebook and Myspace? The majority thought they were stupid and gimmicky but they still pulled in more money than the average annual income of Belgium and held out for a few years, which was incidentally just long enough for the regular masses to finally stick their noses in and see what the fuss was about just as the magic started to fade away. Sure, each franchise is still hobbling along, desperately trying to make that special bolt of lightning strike a second time and to put this tortured analogy to bed, perhaps it's best to take a step back and give it a bit more time before we declare the iPad as anything more than a gimmick.

Also, it's good to see that Microsoft hitting Messenger over the back of the head with a shovel and burying it in a shallow grave, only to replace it with a more annoying messaging service it bought from someone else hasn't caused as much hardship as I expected to the end-user.

Addendum; I'm getting pretty sick of the constant 'An error occurred - Please try again' messages that I've been getting lately.

BlueDrake and cliffordcooley like this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,080   +920

I hope the rumored specs arent as bland as they say.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,393   +1,588

From my perspective as an i7-2600K owner, I'm sure they will be. I'd only consider upgrading from dual-core or LGA775 and older systems. But then if I was in the market for another machine anyway, it wouldn't really matter what I think of Haswell because I don't see AMD as a valid competitor.

5. JC713

Yeah. Actually thinking about this, I feel like this is great for AMD. Their focus is not as much mobile as Intel is. They can easily take over the market when Intel moves to BGA packaging (not quickly, but can gain steadily). AMD will lose in the mobile sector but the weakening desktop era could be theirs. This is my opinion so dont hate lol. ;)

6. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,006   +103

Haswell, expected by June, is the next-generation mainstream Intel processor that will power ultrabooks and a variety of hybrids that straddle tablet and laptop designs. Haswell's new microarchitecture will deliver "the single largest generation-to-generation battery life improvement in Intel history," according to a recent statement from Intel CEO Paul Otellini.

Isn't it odd that their is no reference to a desktop version in the article?

7. JC713

Because that isnt their priority any more :(. Portable is the future. Intel is gonna be the one to spill the beans like microsoft did with Win8.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

There's a few little hiccups in your argument. I bolded the first one, and the second is that mainstream and enthusiast platforms aren't going the BGA route- not when server CPUs are of the same silicon. A third is that AMD still have to field a viable alternative if the Intel budget chipsets do go BGA (there is still no word on Steamroller/Excavator's launch timetable).
    If (and probably when) Intel go BGA it will likely be the Q (business) and H (budget/home theatre) chipsets- hardly surprising since both don't have a high requirement for add-in cards, and its only a matter of time before the PCH (I/O hub) and DRAM gets moved to the CPU package. With a much reduced PCB requirement, it wouldn't be much of a leap to see Q/H chipset mITX* boards with embedded processor as a cost effective solution -in bill of materials, packaging, and warranty returns from DOA/non-compatibility of components.

* A form factor that is woefully neglected for AMD chipsets.
    Probably because the shipping of desktop SKU's aren't considered "news" anymore. Desktop parts are/were already up for pre-order, there have been more than a few previews of the silicon, and Z87 boards seem well advanced in their production guises.

JC713 likes this.
  9. JC713

Aw thanks for that clear up man :D. I guess the articles I have read about Intel going all BGA were wrong. We will wait and see I guess.

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

I think the general confusion and enthusiast angst were driven by the reporting of Broadwell desktop being available in a BGA package ( probably for Q/H/B chipsets as I mused in the earlier post), but Intel and mobo makers were fairly quick to refute the claims that LGA is dead. Some of the hysteria seemed driven by AMD's announcement that they were keeping socketed CPUs (at least for a while) in reaction to the Intel "plans", and the supposed dichotomy magnified on forums by the Sunnyvale cheerleading squads.

Easy to see the workhorse/unglamorous chipsets going BGA, but enthusiast chipsets still represent a sizable marketing segment- if not a great percentage of the overall sales.

JC713 likes this.
  11. JC713

I like the idea of BGA for all in ones. Good for getting thinner.

Edit: Also well said my friend :).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.