Weekend tech reading: Help us win a photo contest!

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Happy weekend everyone! We have a favor to ask for those of you on Facebook. Shawn Knight, the fine individual behind many of our hardware reviews, needs your help to win a photo contest. The giveaway ends tonight at midnight eastern and the person with the most "Likes" wins an iPad. Shawn is currently neck and neck with one other finalist, so every vote counts. To pitch in, head this page and click "Like" below the image. Also, while we're plugging contests, be sure to enter our current giveaway for your own opportunity to win an iPad or many other tech items.

John Carmack discusses Rage on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch This month we're privileged to share a special diary from the legendary John Carmack, technical director and co-founder of id Software. In addition to his current work on Rage — coming to Xbox 360, Games for Windows, and PlayStation 3 on September 13, 2011 — and id Tech 5 technology, John has been working on an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch version of Rage that will introduce gamers to the game's story and world. Bethblog

Advance could change modern electronics Researchers at Oregon State University have solved a quest in fundamental material science that has eluded scientists since the 1960s and could form the basis of a new approach to electronics. The discovery, just reported online in the professional journal Advanced Materials, outlines the creation for the first time of a high-performance "metal-insulator-metal" diode. OSU

New York Judge rules 6-year-old can be sued A girl can be sued over accusations she ran over an elderly woman with her training bicycle when she was 4 years old, a New York Supreme Court justice has ruled. The ruling by King's County Supreme Court Justice Paul Wooten stems from an incident in April 2009 when Juliet Breitman and Jacob Kohn, both aged four, struck an 87-year-old pedestrian, Claire Menagh, with their training bikes. Reuters

Google's AdMob, YouTube chiefs step down Google Inc. said Friday two executives—the head of its AdMob mobile-advertising business and the chief executive of its YouTube video site—are stepping down from their posts. The Internet giant said Omar Hamoui, AdMob's founder and a Google vice president, had decided to leave the company "for personal reasons." A Google spokesman declined to say who would succeed Mr. Hamoui. WSJ

Workers poisoned making touchscreen hardware A chemical called n-hexane has been poisoning the nervous systems of Chinese workers who assemble touchscreen devices for Apple and other companies, an investigative journalist from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports. It's scary to think that people are being damaged to pursue high production rates. Slashdot

Intel inaugurates $1 billion chip plant in Vietnam, says biggest ever Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini and representatives of the Vietnamese government joined a grand opening ceremony held at the plant, which Intel says the largest and most advanced assembly and test facility in its global manufacturing network. Saigon GP Daily

Permalink to story.

Nice setup Shawn! I recently got a second monitor, and now I can't remember how I made it without. You've got me thinking about a third monitor

Shawn has my vote.

EDIT:

the story about suing the six year old.. just blows my mind. what have we come to???

I've like'd Shawn's photo, it looks nice. I'm really looking forward to RAGE on the iPhone, even though I don't have one atm I play a lot on my friends & family. And those Chinese workers, aren't there wearing protection? The hell, thats messed up, but then again who am I to say, from reading what others have said over at Sd it doesn't even seem like a big deal.

crazy to think that touchscreens are connected to 'blood money'. At what cost is our convenience? And suing a six year old? Get real! While we don't know the details of the case I'm pretty sure IF anything should be done it should be on the parents.

There's nothing like suing a 6 year old. I'd say there is a pretty good chance that would screw her life completely up.

"To pitch in, head this page and click "Like" below the image"

Done!

i voted :) gl Shawn hope ya get the ipad. man what is the world coming to suing a 6 year old don't make me laugh. I hate that those people are getting poisoned just so we can have touch screens.

The ruling came about because a child under four is held to a certain standard, and above four there was no clear definition as to their competency. There is a bit more to it than just suing a six year old. It may sound stupid, but that's how the law works.

I liked the page along with more photos, nice setup.

Also laughed a bit at the 6 yr old getting sued. :p

Hey Shawn, must be nice to have friends in high places... Like, Matthew DeCarlo, who posted this so you could tip the scales a lil' !! ..HAHA, well played sir!

FYI, i gave you the thumbs up.... ya.. you're welcome... lol

New York Judge rules 6-year-old can be sued.

This does not shock me because I remember a case where the police booked a 3 year old for rioting & stone pelting at a protest.Later the case was dismissed after the news was published in newspapers & aired on t.v.

Voted for Shawn Knight.

Back