TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Intel to sell CPU upgrades via software

By Matthew
Aug 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel to offer CPU upgrades via software for selected models Intel has posted an upgrade service page on their website which indicates that Intel will again be offering upgradeable CPUs. This is not…

Read the whole story

2. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Not to me they aren't.

3. Ditto.

I mean, where the hell does it stop ? FFS, Intel's profit is in the 12 billion dollars range.

4. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Good grief, next you'll be paying to unlock a core at a time.

5. LOL, when you buy a hardware product like a CPU, the hard earned money you pay for it should include everything! What a total scam.

6. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

This is why I'm glad I gave my money to AMD instead.
    inb4 AMD sucks. ;)

7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

Not that I feel vindicated, but generally I always found that I hardly ever need to look beyond first few search results to find what I am looking for. :)

+Mizzou
    May be someone is smoking something very strong at Intel, to come up with such ****.

8. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

I'm saving up to get the L3 cache!!! I cant wait!

9. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Sarcasm detected.

(I hope.)

10. Mizzou

I'll see your L3 cache and raise you an unlocked multiplier :p:)

11. red1776

:haha: yes...
    I don't think I can afford that!

12. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

L3 cache wuts that? I still run my games on my toaster! :O

13. red1776

Wow! you must have a 4 slicer! (Slice Line Interleave) (sounds like an old system) Oster or Voodoo

14. Mizzou

Wait a minute, does this mean my 965EE is really a Gulftown just waiting to be liberated ... I might have to reconsider :)

15. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Hahaha :)

16. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,913   +718

A few passing thoughts...

1.Seems a sizeable untapped performance reserve built into these 32nm CPU's- to be able to offer an across the board core freq increase without disturbing the TDP

2. Intels' process tech must be pretty good that even the salvage/low spec CPU's are locked down on features/core freq v TDP are an Intel choice rather than a necessity from defective dies

3. Kind of makes me wonder what range of CPU's (core, TDP, L3) we would be seeing if Intel felt that it's market dominance was under threat.

The increased L3/core freq. on the 2312M > 2393M actually makes a degree of sense. Swapping out a mobile CPU is both an extreme PITA (in relation to desktop) and usually warranty voiding. The software upgrade would likely be cheaper in time, effort and cash than the hardware route. Not that many people would ever likely upgrade their laptop CPU, but at least it's an option that wasn't available before.
    Hopefully upgraders/service outlets dont attempt to fleece customers by offering "cheap" performance upgrades.

17. red1776

Could be a result of very good yields as well I suppose. Meet the price points with underclocked parts (rather than defective) with the chance of making a few more bucks later.

(the difference between your assessment and mine being that I'm thinking the parts are good, just laying dormant rather than defective.)

18. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,913   +718

Strange, thats my take also.
    I got the distinct feeling that Intel were deliberately hobbling good CPU candidates just to fill out the model line-up. Sorry for any confusion if the wording didn't match the interpretation.

19. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 882   +131

With regards to the whole Intel debacle... is it possible we might pay less for processors and then find 3rd party routes to unlocking the otherwise locked potential?

20. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Well, in the case of the two non-mobile i3's, I suppose you could just overclock them, as it does not appear to offer any extra benefits in terms of cache. I guess this might be good in situations where you can't put on any aftermarket cooling, but from what I hear, these SB chips overclock really well on air alone.

The mobile CPU does offer extra speed and cache, and so might not be a bad deal. As long as it does not cause the notebook to overheat. 10% performance increase for $50 is too much, 20%, puts it in the maybe category.

21. Gars

Gars TS Enthusiast Posts: 228

you mean jailbreak?
    or even pirating?
    gotcha!
    ;)

22. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

makes sense to me. this way you don't have to pay for higher processing speed if your not going to need it.

23. As soon as the blokes from the carribean get hold of the intel unlock codes, Small clouds of smoke will rise in to the sky all over the world! :)

Or free upgrades for all! huzzah!!

24. colinf

colinf TS Rookie Posts: 43   +7

or...they could just sell it for that price, instead of adding a premium to unlock whats already there

intel hates overclockers

25. If people complain about a file on their disk with the payable download content, jus imagine this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.