Weekend tech reading: US gov't reveals plan for Internet ID

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A government plan for IDs to replace online passwords The Department of Commerce introduced a plan Friday for a system of Internet IDs that could replace passwords and simplify secure transactions online. The plan calls for the federal government to encourage the development of these new IDs and make sure they conform to certain standards. The idea is that the current system of authentication online — passwords, mostly — just doesn't work very well. WSJ

BRICS credit: Local currencies to replace dollar Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa - the BRICS group of fastest growing economies - Thursday signed an agreement to use their own currencies instead of the predominant US dollar in issuing credit or grants to each other. The agreement, the first-of-its-kind, was signed at the 3rd BRICS summit here attended by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, China's Hu Jintao, Brazil's Dilma Rousseff, Russia's Dmitry Medvedev and South Africa's Jacob Zuma. The Economic Times

First test results of AMD Radeon HD 6570, 6670 Entry-level low-cost systems available, offering recently prepared for the model of the Radeon HD 6450, AMD within the next week (19 April) product line, the new graphics chip, code-named Turks Radeon HD 6570 and Radeon HD 6670 models use the add. Radeon HD 5700 series Radeon HD 6700 family, under whom he re-positioned for the DirectX 11 graphics cards in various details regarding the technical specifications and we reached the first test results. DonanımHaber (translated)

Best Buy to chop down sizes of largest retail stores The world of retail electronics has changed drastically over the years. It used to be that most people were going to retail stores to make a purchase. Today, many people go into a retail store to see how a device works and research an item, then go home to purchase it online. The reasons for this are many, but much lies with the lower price that many gadgets can be found for online. DailyTech

Neuroscience: Brain buzz Last year a succession of volunteers sat down in a research lab in Albuquerque, New Mexico to play DARWARS Ambush!, a video game designed to train US soldiers bound for Iraq. Each person surveyed virtual landscapes strewn with dilapidated buildings and abandoned cars for signs of trouble — a shadow cast by a rooftop sniper, or an improvised explosive device behind a rubbish bin. Nature News

The World's Biggest Pac-Man game takes over the internet, your life It's officially the weekend, which means you've got two choices: one, mimic iTr3vor and toss up a YouTube video of yourself dancing in an Apple Store, or two, blow your own mind with the magic of HTML5. In between hour-long Pica-Pic sessions, we'd recommend killing time in The World's Biggest Pac-Man game... Engadget

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't mind an ID system for sites that have sensitive material, I think it's a great idea. My only concern is how private it'll be and how much of that info will the government have access to it, since the government is the one suggesting it. Call me paranoid or whatever but in this times where the government has shown much corruption and lack of leadership I think i have a right to be concern. Hopefully that's not the case with this new idea

Oh joy, big brother wants to hold our hand while we surf the internet now... Never saw that one coming =/

What's next? Government issued toilet paper?
Thanks, but no thanks Obama.

The most important bit in these is the news of BRICS agreement; another sign that financial foundations of the American Empire are starting to crumble. I wouldn't be surprised if dollar is to be replaced in next 10-20 years time as primary international exchange currency; which in effect can paralize american financial system as it needs to constantly borrow (or print?) from others to stay afloat anyway. It will also affect other economies which are 'blindly' dependent on americans as well. Hence, I would say a tragedy is being fostered because the masses has been misguided or simply ignorant to notice all this and hold the those accountable who are responsible for creating such a mess in the first place.

I am not sure about this IDs idea either; I am not sure many would want Govt to control 'every' aspect of their lives.

Great, just what we need. Hack one ID, get access to everything that person does. The server that holds these IDs would be the motherload of all motherloads. Like a grand canyon of gold.

On another note, that pacman game is outrageous.

Funny, this time Germany is in front of the US - we already have an (optional) online ID system that comes with the new real-life ID cards we got one or two years ago. You can use the card and a reader to identify yourself on secure websites that support it. I'm not using it at this time, but it's there and it's a good idea in my opinion.

There are advantages and drawbacks to it. If it was enforced as the primary method of identification, Internet anonymity would go out the window. It would surely reduce piracy for one thing, be that good or bad. However, I can see a trend towards the exclusion of anonymity on the web anyway; just look at Facebook. The "real name" concept is being pushed in social networking and surprisingly many people adapt to it. Seems that an Internet ID is just the next step.

...says the one posting as a guest ;-)

Why would I give up my most valuable form of identity to the goverment. My finger print is what I would want to keep more private than anything.

USCC is *not* a US government regulation/control/policy agency, like the CDC, EPA, etc, but a private, business-only, commercial entity/lobby group, which supports/promotes/defends only big business/corporation interests:
http://www.uschamber.com/
notice the ".com" suffix instead of ".gov", which is the USA government official domain.
Now ask yourselves why do these people want a unified net ID?
And I thought it was obvious, and that every1 got it... ;-)
See Wikipedia for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Chamber_of_Commerce
Please learn, do your research before posting.
HTH [Hope This Helps]

Guest said:
USCC is *not* a US government regulation/control/policy agency, like the CDC, EPA, etc, but a private, business-only, commercial entity/lobby group, which supports/promotes/defends only big business/corporation interests:

Please learn, do your research before posting.
HTH [Hope This Helps]

Keep telling yourself that Guest. At one point, GM and Chrysler were private businesses too, now the government holds stock in both (GM more so that Chrysler). You also used to be able to choose between incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs as well, but by 2012 you will no longer have that choice. Funny how the government can sneak in and take over any part of your life isn't it?

(Hope this helps)

Keep telling yourself that Guest. At one point, GM and Chrysler were private businesses too, now the government holds stock in both (GM more so that Chrysler). You also used to be able to choose between incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs as well, but by 2012 you will no longer have that choice. Funny how the government can sneak in and take over any part of your life isn't it?

(Hope this helps)

Amen, Amen , and Amen

...Oh yeah, they also now own the banking system.....outright

Amen, Amen , and Amen

...Oh yeah, they also now own the banking system.....outright

+1 red.

The government has, and will, find ANY means of invading your personal life, and making you believe it is a good thing. Sorry, but I don't need anyone to help me remember my passwords, or to hold my hand as I make decisions regarding my life, much less Uncle "bad touch" Sam. People need to wake up.

Back