Weird Freezing Issue when plugged in

Steven Bene

So I have looked all over for the answer to my question, but I havent found any threads that exactly match my issue. I have a 2016 Alienware 13 R2. Specs shouldnt matter, but its 500gb hdd, 16gb ddr3 ram, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960m with 2gb dedicated video ram. Every once in a while, some days more often than others, my laptop freezes. It only does this when plugged into ac power and it always 100% of the time unfreezes when I unplug the power cord. The screen is fine, but every part of the pc including the pointer and the keyboard are all frozen until I unplug it. I plug it back in and its fine... for a while at least. I have tried disabling my processors in device manager after reading a similar but different thread, which helped for a while,m but its back. Any ideas? All drivers are up to date, BIOS as well. O have reset this computer once before because I couldnt keep up with desktop clutter and it was slowing down, but the issue is fairly recent.

Hi Strange. It only happens when Ac adapter is plugged in? That would make me suspect the AC adapter.;)
You might try unplugging the AC adapter. Then remove battery. Then hold the power button down for 20 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Put the battery back in. Then Plug in the AC adapter. Let us know how thing go!
PS You might try leaving the battery out and see if you have a issue.

Last edited:
Laptops seem to have more issues than desktops.
Just a thought from reading years of posts on many forums.
Good luck.

You could try running sfc /scannow in an administrator cmd prompt.
If it finds problems it cannot fix try Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in administrator cmd prompt.
Then sfc again.
screenshot_18.jpg

screenshot_18.jpg

These cmds work better in Windows 10.
I think Microsoft disabled them in earlier versions.
Just my paranoia of BIG BROTHER.
1984>George Orwell

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply guys. I forgot to mention I do have a warranty so I can't take it apart. I will try sfc when I can get to my computer. I also forgot to say that one single time the computer said something about the charger not being recognised. It is the stock charger of the proper wattage and has no physical damage at all. A friend's suggested the io board had slightly receeded and after rebooting the message went away. Don't know if that is relavent to my current issue. I have run sfc in the past but not for this issue. I also realized after I made this thread that it is noticeably slower when plugged it, but not always. I have looked into that too and in response to the most common issue for that is that whether plugged in or not plugged in, the CPU is at around 2.6ghz and not stuck at 1ghz while plugged in. It is odd though that it stays at 2.6 GHz without fluctuating. If I can't get it resolved I will wait until summer to send it in under warranty as I need it for school and can live with the issue for a few months.

Back