Weird graphics card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan29121

I am having a weird graphics card issue on one of my computers. The computer has an XFX GTX 260 216. When I am playing games such as TF2 and left 4 dead 2 the computer crashes every 20 minutes or so. The weird thing is that I swapped out that card for an 8800gt and the computer runs fine. I put the GTX 260 in my other computer and that computer runs fine without any crashes on the same games. Temperature is not a problem because the GTX is running at a max of 55 C give or take a few. Both computers should have a big enough power supply, with both at 750w. Both running Windows 7. What do you think is causing the graphics card to run bad on one computer, but not the other? Thanks in advance for your help on this issue.

Have you tried downclocking the GPU core, shader clock and memory ?
If you downclock and the instability eases then most likely it's a Vram or VRM problem- a factory fault and not completely unknown with XFX branded cards-especially the XXX and Black Edition branded versions.
If you have no utility for downclocking then I'd recommend EVGA's Precision utility here:
http://majorgeeks.com/EVGA_Precision_d6209.html
and set up a profile knocking a couple of hundred MHz of the core and memory settings when the card ramps to 3D mode. The utility has a good alround monitoring system so you could install, leave the clocks at stock, fire up a game and when it CTD's quickly check the graphs for anomolies (temp, clock speeds) also.

Freak issue Ritwik? It's componenty -not a poltergeist...lol

LOL! :p

But really strange isn't it. Such things are usually driver issues if at all. I recently was unable to play Assassin's Creed properly on Windows XP on my system which runs Crysis like a charm. Switching to Win 7 64 Bit miraculously solved the issue. I don't know why. Maybe it was a Poltergeist after all, eh! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back