TechSpot

What are all the benefits of an SSD?

By LambofGod
Sep 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I had a friend trying to sell me on going with an SSD,and while I can say it seems that going with one in the future would sound like a good idea,however right now I am just concentrating on getting my bones together not so much about having the greatest rig out.

He was mentioning that it overall improves actual physical "gameplay" ???

While I was under the assumption that it would basically ONLY improve on load times,boot up,and access of all your memory.

I can not wrap my mind on exactly what it would improve on other than just loading these programs /games I was under the assumption that once the games loaded out it is up to your RAM,GPU,and CPU from there.

Never knew that any game would have to consistantly be going back to the HDD after the initial "load" while the gameplay phase took off.

2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

An SSD won't improve your framerates in most games but will hugely improve your general computing experience to the extent that you never want to go back to a HDD again. I get that feeling every day when comparing my home and work PCs.

128GB SSDs are pretty cheap nowadays, they dropped in price a lot a few months back and have now stabilised somewhat so now might be a good time to pick one up.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

Yeah, not going to improve gameplay in any measurable way, although helps minimise interruptions from "Loading" screens.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,635   +321

Benefits:
    Fast access, so computer feels more responsive.
    Won't die if you bump into your desktop while its on - actually mechanical ones are ok here too, but one time I was stupidly moving the drive to another internal bay when it was on and I lost my grip - drive fell maybe half an inch to catch on a drive bay and poof, drive was toast.
    Lower power usage.
    Quiet.

Cons:
    Price
    Reliability over time is still somewhat suspect.

5. LambofGod

LambofGod TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

Yeah thank you all. Even I kept telling him I don't see why it would improve game play other than well POOF you're there...anyhow I can live without it for awhile when my build is complete. In the future though I will throw my games operating system on the SDD while the crazy 1tb HDD (memory I WILL probably never use) will house music and whatever.

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

As others have mentioned, an SSD is largely irrelevant for gaming, as the only improvement it makes is a second or three during the loading of levels. There is no increase in performance during gameplay itself.

However, it really does make a massive difference to your experience using Windows. You never get tired of loading Windows to your desktop in 10-15 seconds, and the massive increase you see in the loading of office type and creative software. I work on computers a lot, and often they don't use SSDs, so I get to see on a nearly daily basis the difference they make.

Fitting a SSD is the single best upgrade you can add to a computer.

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,124   +1,523

The single most obvious thing I have noticed about an SSD is how fast the scans for Mal-ware are. I love how quickly it finishes a scan of an SSD.
    MSSEFullScan.jpg
    Full scan of C:\ scanning over 500,000 items in 5 minutes. A quick scan was completed in 25 Seconds.

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Aye, it is rather rapid! :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.