What causes a DVD movie to slip into fastforward while watching it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pw2much

I'm new and not even sure this is the right place for this tread,but I have three different drives in my system all LiteOn-two are the multi drives and one bluray triple recorder. Now when I'm watching a move every now and then somewhere say in the middle or the end of the movie it will just automatically fastforward thru either the rest of the movie or to another section of the movie. can someone tell me is this a media or mechanical problem it's not the same movie or the same drive that this happens in?I use CyberLink Power DVD-9 as my movie watching software but have had this happen in WMP-11 also.and it'll just get to a certain part of the movies and zip away it goes .my system is a MSI-Ms-7368 motherboard,amd anthlon64 X2 6000+,4GBs of ram,EVGA's geforce 8500GT 512mb all running thru my Magnavox 26in.hdtv.Most of my dvd's were copied using DVD-Cloner V or VI burning software.

Are all of these optical drives SATA? What make and model is your power supply? You may be pushing the power supplies limits

The bluray drive and the one with lightscribe are sata the other ide,my power supply is 600w-StarPower-SP600DF/24 ATX600w Dual fan

Does this speed up happen with all 3 drives? That StarPower may not be good enough. if you unplug the BluRay from the power supply, does the spped up show up on the other optical drives?

yes it doesn't matter the drive,at first I thought it might be the dvd but then there are times when the same dvd or dvd's will play completely to the end of the picture.it's not all the time that this happens it's random.I try to keep all my movies clean and in a case.as far as unplugging the bluray I haven't tried that yet! I try not to use it too much for regular dvd's only for dual layer dvd movies and blu-ray.

I tried unplugging the blu-ray drive and yes it does speed up on the other drives so what's your diagnoses with this new discovery is it the power supply or is there another factor in this situation? and can some one tell me the best cleaner for the lenses on these drives to use and where to purchase it? I use to use Discwasher but I don't see that make anymore in stores or on-line

It is probably still a power issue, and it has nothing to do with a dirty lens. I can imagine that the Bluray drives require more power that the "normal" opticals do

I wasn't relating the cleaning to the problem I was just inquiring about a good lens cleaner for the drives that I have and thank you for your assist i will be in search for a new power supply and while your at it any suggestions on a good one or what specs I should look for, for my system

Here's just an example:
Corsair 550 Watt

Why do you need the 2 lite-on drives? I would ditch the IDE optical, and just run 1 lite-on and the BlueRay SATA drives. Using a optical lens cleaner does more damage than it corrects

Okay now the power supply that I have is 600w and your telling me to get a 550w is it that my psu is not giving the power that I need or is it not rated to what it should be?because I was looking at the corsair 850w since you said that it's not enough power so even the 650w would be good for my system? and the lens cleaners so if I needed them cleaned what's the best way to clean them?or do I clean them?

Starpower is not that good of a power supply. It's not just the rated wattage that makes a good computer power supply. After a time, some lesser supplies begin to fail. There are not many that have 3 optical drives installed. Unless the computer is in a dirty, dusty or smokey room, there is really no need to clean optical drives. I have a couple of optical writers that are over 6 years old, and they have never been cleaned

Thanks TMagic650, Now all I have to do is save up for the power supply,I have my daughter and her son living with me so the psu will have to get in line as far as finances but thank you for all the advice you've given and yes maybe i'll diconnect the ide drive too and se how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back