What do you think of this new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddmatt02

alright, first off, no I havent built a PC yet. but ive moved the internals from one to another case, Ive replaced HDD's, upgraded CPU's, upgraded RAM, installed dvd/cd drives, pci cards, etc...

I mean, Ill never be able to say I built one until I build one, so just the fact that I havent yet shouldnt stop me from doing it now.

MSI 785GM-E51 AM3 was looking at an asus ASUS M4A77TD AM3 but no eSATA port, although I probably wouldnt use it... also I know when I read the P55 motherboard shootout, ASUS had used older chips to run stuff on the PCI bus where other manufacturers were running them on the PCI express bus. I gotta read on that some more.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz pretty set on this

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW

XFX HD-577A-ZHFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 which is more important to consider, dirextX10 vs. 11 or 128bit vs 256bit?

COOLMAX V-600 600W ATX12V Power Supply

Linkworld 313-07-C2228 Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower

for a cooler I was thinking of this
Thermaltake SpinQ Performance Series cooler

is something like this actually of benefit? I know in theory it is, but does it really do anything worth while.
COOLER MASTER SLC-S41-U1 Copper Fan & Heatsinks

I wont be buying the stuff right away, but I hope to not wait too long, but the longer I do wait, the cheaper all this stuff should be anyways. as of right now it all works out to just below 700 bucks.

I will have to get a new monitor also, because I still have an old 17" from 1998, but asus has a 19"LCD for 110 shipped, might get that one.

also, I do plan to OC this setup, any potential problems with any of the components I picked out?

Hi maddmatt02,
I would seriously consider replacing that power supply. Coolmax PSU's have been hit and miss. many have been found to have shoddy construction, and have labels that overstate their power output. PSU's are almost always a 'you get what you pay for' proposition, and 600W for $35 is highly suspect. I would cough up an extra $30 and get a Corsair, or even an Antec. otherwise I think your asking for a bunch of heat,and a heap of ripple.

oh one other thing, if you keep your eyes peeled, you can usually find a 22" monitor from Acer, HannsG, Asus, for about $20 more than you are planning to pay for the 19".

alright, the original price was 50 bucks for that PSU, and I wasnt sure about it either, but thats about my least favorite part to spend money on, because even though it allows "everything else" to do what it does, it doesnt really do "anything" if you know what I mean. but Ive read that its an important part not to skimp on.

what kind of a power rating do you think I should stick above? and say I was to get a better Mobo that supported it and ran dual video cards later on, then how much power to get?

also, is it true that a power supply with 1 12V rail is better than a supply with multiple rails even if its rated a bit higher?

what about this one, its 40 after a rebate (which wont be there when I buy though)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130247

no matter what I get, will be a big step up from an ASUS cusl2/PIII 733/282mb PC133/Riva TNT2 32mb AGP..... lol, it was pretty good in 98 though!

Red is right about PSU. Newegg has this on sale right now: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W for $98.99 which is a decent deal. As for how much power you need it really depends on what your going to hookup. A simple one video card one or two HD machine could be powered by a quality 450 - 500 W PSU easily. You could also look at a case that includes a decent power supply like the Antec Sonata III since this is where you could save a little cash.

Your video card is a good bang for the buck choice. I would probalbly go DX11 just because it is the future and the 5770 doesn't break the bank.

Your link goes to an MSI Mb but I assume you meant to link to a PSU. As for MB's Gigabyte just announced they are refreshing their MB's for AMD with USB 3 and 6Gbps SATA so if your not rushing to build you may want to wait for one of these if the features interest you.

The power supply IS important... right up there with motherboard, memory, CPU, and hard drive. The wrong one can cause you all sorts of grief. If you do not understand why, do more reading. RangerX and Red1776 offer good advice to consider. I would go for the Gigabyte boards over the MSI. And the Samsung Spinpoint would not be my choice as long as there are Seagate and Western Digital. I don't know the Linkworld case, but do not overlook the case just to save a few dollars... and have good reasons for what you buy.

only things Im going to have in there, are going to be that video card, or whatever one I end up with(I doubt I'll run 2, but if I get a board that can handle it now, later on another 5770 will be cheaper im sure than a better overall single card to play the games that the 5770 doesnt cut it on anymore. but if that happens I might have to get a new PSU then.

at the most though, off this PSU there will be

1TB sata HDD
radeon 5770(or comparable)
floppy drive
pci wireless network adapter (maybe USB)
obviously the mobo and CPU(and cpu cooler/couple case fans)
sata DVDR DL (and probably a blu ray drive later on)
also will need to power some sort of external HDD at times. but when I am transferring files, I wont be playing far cry 2 or anything, so while both the internal and external drives ares sucking the juice, the graphics card should be at idle basically so its not like everything will be on at once.

and heres the link to that PSU I meant to link to earlier. 100 bucks for a PSU sucks... lol, how long do you think its gonna be til the new setup needs a connector a good one I buy right now wont have, so I dont have to upgrade that as well if(when actually) I upgrade again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

and I had read about the new GB boards having USB 3.0, and SATA 6.0, but I read how nothing right now is really even being bottlenecked by USB2.0 speeds, and all the cheap drives are going to be the SATA 3.0 after those come out. so I might wait for them, but just to get a better deal on older stuff... but there is always the thought to get a board supporting those for the future. I can get cheap SATA 3.0 drive now, and when the 6.0's get cheaper I can pick one up.

so now I am thinking to keep it cheap still, I might get a really nice mobo/PSU, get something cheap like an athlon II X2 240 for ~50, a good cpu cooler, and a single 2GB stick of ram. just to get the build off the ground. I can use my PATA DVD drive and HDD at first, can even use my case I got now. then later I can add another 2GB stick, upgrade the CPU, add the video card, and swap the HDD/DVD drives for SATA drives later on.

Im actually gonna make a list of the bare essentials I need to get an AM3 setup going, and might post a list here in a second.

like this PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W
its only 68 after rebates/savings and says it used to be 128 originally (not sure if new eggs listed original prices are the MSRP that no product ever really sells for though, even on day one)

how are raidmax PSU's?

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX
crossfire (x16,x16) or quad crossfire (x8,x8,x8,x8).

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

that comes up to 325 after rebates.

I dont think Ill ever run a quad crossfire setup, but most other boards run dual at x8,x8.

The power supply IS important... right up there with motherboard, memory, CPU, and hard drive. The wrong one can cause you all sorts of grief. If you do not understand why, do more reading. RangerX and Red1776 offer good advice to consider. I would go for the Gigabyte boards over the MSI. And the Samsung Spinpoint would not be my choice as long as there are Seagate and Western Digital. I don't know the Linkworld case, but do not overlook the case just to save a few dollars... and have good reasons for what you buy.

I didnt mean I didnt believe it was important, I was just saying I dont like spending the money on it.

its like if you buy a new car, you dont want to spend the money on "it" either, but you do go out and spend extra to get the upper trim level for some more power, or whatever reason, and its not such a big deal to pay more because you want it. then you gotta fill the tank, and as important as gas is, you hate having to spend money on it, and even worse because you got the better car, you now need to buy premium as well.

don't worry about the x8,x8 bandwidth, you wont be in danger of saturating a PCIE x8 bandwidth. its not an issue.

good to know, lets me get a cheaper mobo, unless I hold out for the new GB "333" boards. but the intel boards supporting that tech are about 175+ so who knows.

that actually looks pretty good because I will also be able to use my old monitor without any kind of adapter until I buy an LCD. cpu I might go to the phenom right off the bat like I wanted to.

its almost tempting to go with a AM2/DDR2 build, because, I have a PS3, and honeslt, even though games would look better at a higher resolution on my monitor off a high end gaming pc, I will still probably spend the majority of my "gaming" time on the PS3 in front of a 50" screen...

I remember when I bought this PIII build, I first ordered an AMD thunderbird 1.3 with 256MB DDR memory, and it was so damn fast(for its age) that that blue loading screen while starting up the sims literally scrolled right by and went into the game. unstable as hell though and I sent it back twice and they never got it right so I returned it and had them build me an intel setup.

as far as PSU's, what are good brands?

ive been told corsair and antec so far are decent, and Ive read some OCZ ones were good, any other brands?

At this point going AM2/DDR2 wouldn't save you too much cash unless you really want to do a bargain bin build. Also, the advantage of the AMD AM3 platform is that it will be upgradeable for the foreseeable future. As for PSU brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, and some others often get good reviews. But, like anything, a particular model may be better or worse even within the same brand. If you don't want to think about it Corsair is the brand I find most favorably reviewed.

It seems like you want to start out with an inexpensive build so my advice is to get a case that includes a PSU like the Antec Sonata III 500 or Antec NSK 4480 II which is only $69.99 at Newegg right now. This kills two birds with one stone at an economical price. Get an Asus or Gigabyte 785G board since it's only a $10 dollar difference, if that, compared to 770 boards. Get an inexpensive Athalon or Phenom processor of choice and what ever name brand memory that is on sale and you'll have a very usable machine.

Technicians in our part of the world who love OCZ are reporting a great deal of difficulty with the PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W and other ModXStream PSU's

The Corsairs have so few problems reported that I rate them among the best... in fact I cannot remember when I last heard of a Corsair failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back