What graphics cards can the Philips MT2400 handle

Hello guys,

So i've been a console gamer for a long time. But recently i found i want to get into PC gaming a bit more.

I'm not looking for the best of the best, because well, i can't afford it. My Parents have an old rig which i have found and is the Philips MT2400. I was just wondering because of the lack of processor power, it is a 2007 model i think, what can it handle graphics wise.

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM from the current 1GB (i think) to the 4GB i know it can handle, but graphics card wise, i have no idea.

Wondered if you friendly folks could throw me a bone.

Specs: (what i know at least)

CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Prescott (3.20 Ghz)
Motherboard ECS 915P-M3
Memory 1024 MB DDR RAM - (2x 512 MB - PC3200)
Hard Drive 250GB Maxtor®
Video / Graphics Card ATI RADEON x550 PCI Express TV Card Hauppauge®

Is the NVidea GeForce 9800 Gt still good, or am i looking too low?

If im honest im not really looking for anything over £200 but if you guys could let me know if im way off with my budget.

Thanks in advance.

I will be competely honest, that machine is at least 2 generations behind the current gen stuff. That CPU is going to be very limited in any sort of modern game. It was a screamer when it was new but you are going to have issues playing most new(er) games no matter what video card you throw in.

So that being said, you have a PCI express slot so you can get a decent video card. The 9800 is still a pretty decent card. I would not waste getting any better of a card because the bottleneck is already going to be your CPU.

Also with a new video card comes the question, can you power it? You are going to have to see the wattage and amperage specs on the side of the power supply. But more then likely you will need more then the stock PSU to power any decent video card.

The main question is what games do you want to play? If you are into older stuff, CSS, Battlefield 2 they should play fine. If you want to play Bad Company 2, or Starcraft 2 etc, you should maybe think about saving some money and getting a newer set up.

Well thanks for your honesty i appreciate it.

I am looking to play newer stuff, although i have steam and a few games like Portal and CSS to play, i was looking into newer games like Red Alert, Starcraft.

Looks like i might just have to take the plunge and go for a new set up. Any ideas what a decent rig would cost that would get me by in todays climate. I have to admit im quite out of touch with the PC community and what passes for adequate these days.

Back