What is a good light antivirus?

dwizzle

hey i was wondering what a good light anti virus is because mcafee takes up to much on my computer.

If you're using MS Vista/7 then you probably can't go too far wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Yeah i'll agree with DBZ above, Microsoft Security Essentials is very nice and light if you're using Vista or 7.

I used MSE for a while and agree that it was light. I'm using NOD32 now, which is also light and thorough.

I've been using Avast, Avira and MSE and none really seem to impact the system at all. The one problem I have with MSE is it failed to detect a trojan the other day. I didn't execute the file but when I sent it to virus total, 90% of the packages identified it as a virus but not MSE. Still could be a false positive but who knows.

If you're using MS Vista/7 then you probably can't go too far wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Does MSE not work as well with XP? I ask because I had it on my XP system, but a short while later noticed that it wasn't in my system tray anymore and had been disabled. I ran Housecall and CCleaner (including the registry cleaner), but MSE wouldn't reinstall. I've tried several other AVs since then, and they all installed without a problem.

Does MSE not work as well with XP? I ask because I had it on my XP system, but a short while later noticed that it wasn't in my system tray anymore and had been disabled. I ran Housecall and CCleaner (including the registry cleaner), but MSE wouldn't reinstall. I've tried several other AVs since then, and they all installed without a problem.
I going to hazard a guess and say, "probably not"! M$ isn't really supporting XP, or maybe only supporting it half heartedly. That said, M$E should be used with the other free components of M$ security, "Windows Defender" and, "Malicious Software Removal Tool". Also keep in mind, the firewall in Win 7 is much more competent than the joke of the same name in XP.

Back