TechSpot

What is a good light antivirus?

By dwizzle
Jan 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. hey i was wondering what a good light anti virus is because mcafee takes up to much on my computer.

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

If you're using MS Vista/7 then you probably can't go too far wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials.

3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Yeah i'll agree with DBZ above, Microsoft Security Essentials is very nice and light if you're using Vista or 7.

4. Patosan

Patosan TS Enthusiast Posts: 35

If not Vista or 7 then I'd go for Avast free version ... very low on resources and relaiable.

5. Digimike84

Digimike84 TS Rookie

I'm using a lightes and latest version of ZenOK free antivirus, no complains so far, because it hardly uses any resources and it's very easy to handle.

6. Lou3

Lou3 TS Member Posts: 65

I used MSE for a while and agree that it was light. I'm using NOD32 now, which is also light and thorough.

7. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

Microsoft Security Essentials is working well for me.

8. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

I've been using Avast, Avira and MSE and none really seem to impact the system at all. The one problem I have with MSE is it failed to detect a trojan the other day. I didn't execute the file but when I sent it to virus total, 90% of the packages identified it as a virus but not MSE. Still could be a false positive but who knows.

9. Lou3

Lou3 TS Member Posts: 65

Does MSE not work as well with XP? I ask because I had it on my XP system, but a short while later noticed that it wasn't in my system tray anymore and had been disabled. I ran Housecall and CCleaner (including the registry cleaner), but MSE wouldn't reinstall. I've tried several other AVs since then, and they all installed without a problem.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,880

I going to hazard a guess and say, "probably not"! M$ isn't really supporting XP, or maybe only supporting it half heartedly. That said, M$E should be used with the other free components of M$ security, "Windows Defender" and, "Malicious Software Removal Tool". Also keep in mind, the firewall in Win 7 is much more competent than the joke of the same name in XP.