TechSpot

What motherboard do I need for 2500K?

By Yoshiki
Jun 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all i'm new in this forum and have a question for you .
    I want change my processor with a Core i5 2500K.
    I need change my motherboard cause i have AMD processor.
    I have a small budget, approximately 150£.

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,869   +697

I presume you are in the UK (judging by the £)
    You need not spend £150 unless you have an overwhelming need for eSATA and a boatload of USB and SATA ports. since most P67 or Z68 boards have roughly the same performance -including overclocking (which is why you opted for the "K" unlocked CPU I expect)

All of these budget boards are good performers.
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) (£104) -review here or -GD55 for £120 (same board with a front panel USB3.0 header).
    If you are looking at using the CPU's graphics then the board that Ritwik suggested would be a good choice. Also handy if you upgrade graphics cards regularly -you can sell the previous card to finance the purchase of the next, and use the onboard video while you wait for the new card.

If you're looking for a few more bells-and-whistles then:
    Asus P67 Sabertooth (£148) is a very good performer and ships with a 5 year warranty.[review 1],[review 2],[review 3]
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO (£149) if onboard video is important to you.[review 1],[review 2], [review 3]
    The Gigabyte boards are also well appointed, but seem a little expensive in the UK compared with the Asus and MSI boards with comparable feature sets.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.