My PC specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785
CPU: AMD Phenom II 810 X4 Quad Core 2.6Ghz
PSU: Corsair 650W
Grahpics Card: XFX HD 5770 1GB
Ram: Giel 4GB DDR3
HDD: Sata II 500GB
Monitor: 23 Inch LG W2343T

Help on telling me the pros and cons of operating systems would be muchly appreciated..

I play alot of games so would prefer to have atleast Directx 10 or even better Directx 11

DX11 = Vista or 7
4Gb RAM = 64 bit
Home user = Home Premium or Professional
Update the system frequently = Retail, not frequently = OEM

So...

Vista/W7 Home Premium or Pro x64...........Q.E.D.

My PC specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785
CPU: AMD Phenom II 810 X4 Quad Core 2.6Ghz
PSU: Corsair 650W
Grahpics Card: XFX HD 5770 1GB
Ram: Giel 4GB DDR3
HDD: Sata II 500GB
Monitor: 23 Inch LG W2343T

Help on telling me the pros and cons of operating systems would be muchly appreciated..

I play alot of games so would prefer to have atleast Directx 10 or even better Directx 11

Go with XP if you want maximum performance out of all of that....

There's hardly any game I know of of which that uses DirectX 10 or 11, so just stick with 9, since most games have not been made yet to run on 10 or 11.
Only newer games made in this year would use DirectX 10 / 11.

The newer one probably does, though I haven't gone into the requirements of COD series. I Don't play them
Not that I have heard off or seen...recently.....

I'm sorry, but you'll might as well get stuck at 9 because there ain't much games that run DirectX10 or higher.

Not sure anyone would vote for Vista. You definitely need 64bit if you are going to have 4GB or more of RAM so that leaves you with a 64 bit flavor of XP or Win 7. You could go with XP and it would work fine for now (may have slightly better performance as there is less overhead), however MS is discontinuing support for XP in the near future so i would strongly advise against it for a new system.

MS link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

You have a very capable system and I would definitely get Win 7 if i was making the choice. You can always disable all of the desktop effects if you must get every ounce of speed out of your machine, but I think you will find it nice to have the added benefits of Win 7 vs XP.

Not sure anyone would vote for Vista. You definitely need 64bit if you are going to have 4GB or more of RAM so that leaves you with a 64 bit flavor of XP or Win 7. You could go with XP and it would work fine for now (may have slightly better performance as there is less overhead), however MS is discontinuing support for XP in the near future so i would strongly advise against it for a new system.

MS link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

You have a very capable system and I would definitely get Win 7 if i was making the choice. You can always disable all of the desktop effects if you must get every ounce of speed out of your machine, but I think you will find it nice to have the added benefits of Win 7 vs XP.

You know what? I like performance than looks, I don't really mind 7 but 7 just isn't my type, not yet. Okay, I'll admit it, I do like the looks but I don't really feel the touch for the Windows Aero theme in 7 though, sucks up more than what you bargained for, hey I got my own experiences with VISTA okay?

how will it help???

What when upgrading operating system yes...

How will it help, well first of all, atleast it gives the HDD the OS was installed to less stress and thus installing onto another HDD that's not going to be used (well not as frequent as your OS is using it's HDD it was installed to and other programs.) more performance for whatever you play from it. I've myself have notice some difference in installing NFSMW from OS to other HDD. On OS side of HDD, the average fps is about (on maximum graphics setting) 35fps, but when I installed it onto my other HDD, the fps rose up to about 38fps, still good, rose 3fps, better than no raise at all, isn't it? SO it's a slight increase in fps though. Well, I probably think that's due to a faster rpm on my other HDD I think.... but nevertheless if you're a gamer, I'd still recommend you installing onto another HDD that's not being used by other things. 1 HDD fro OS and other random programs you got and want to install and the other is for Games and Movies.

It's work well for me so far.... I got a 1TB HDD for my Games and Movies and a 80GB for XP and other random programs I got.

BTW: You should get Windows XP 64-bit with SP3 installed.

Right now, my uh computer is kinda busted!

DirectX 10 & 11 games...

Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures
Alien v Predator (February 2010, DirectX 11)
Alliance of Valiant Arms
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2 (March 2010)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (March 2010, DirectX 11)
Battleforge (+ DirectX 11)
BioShock
BioShock 2 (Feb. 2010)
Call of Juarez
Chrome 2 (Feb 2010)
Company of Heroes (with patch)
Company of Heroes:Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason
Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Dawn of War II
Devil May Cry 4
D.I.R.T. 2 (DirectX 11)
Dungeons & Dragon's Online: Stormreach
Far Cry 2 (DirectX 10.1)
Flight Simulator X (DirectX 10.1)
Flight Simulator X :Accelerator
Gears of War
Global Agenda (Feb. 2010)
Hellgate London
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (DirectX 10.1)
Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (update)
Lost Planet:Extreme Condition
Mafia II (May 2010)
Necrovision
Prince of Persia
PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Rise of the Argonauts
Shadowrun
Shattered Horizon
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (DirectX 10.1)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (DirectX 11)
Stormrise (DirectX 10/10.1 only)
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (DirectX 10.1)
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Unreal Tournament 3
World in Conflict
World in Conflict: Soviet Assault

Upcoming games with no firm release date other than 2010 include : They, Race Driver: GRID 2, F1 2010, Metro 2033, Stargate Worlds, Guild Wars 2, Arcania: A Gothic Tale etc...

Buying an OS new.
No brainer - Windows 7 x64 Home Edition

On OS side of HDD, the average fps is about (on maximum graphics setting) 35fps, but when I installed it onto my other HDD, the fps rose up to about 38fps, still good, rose 3fps, better than no raise at all, isn't it?

HD speed should have no effect on fps during a game. It will effect loading or level transitions, but unless it is a horribly coded game or you do not have enough RAM it should not be hitting the HD at all during a game.

Ok, doing a little more research i guess some MMPRPGs hit the HD as there is too much info to keep loaded at one time. So maybe you would see a little performance difference there. But if you really want a fast HD, you should get a small SSD for your OS/applications and a larger platter drive for your data (get the best of both worlds).

This actually brings up a point though, if you ever want an SSD on this system DO NOT get XP or Vista as they do not support "Trim" commands to SSDs and they treat SSD's just like normal HD's which will decrease their performance substantially over time (you can fix it by doing a complete reformat, but that is a pain).

DirectX 10 & 11 games...

Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures
Alien v Predator (February 2010, DirectX 11)
Alliance of Valiant Arms
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2 (March 2010)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (March 2010, DirectX 11)
Battleforge (+ DirectX 11)
BioShock
BioShock 2 (Feb. 2010)
Call of Juarez
Chrome 2 (Feb 2010)
Company of Heroes (with patch)
Company of Heroes:Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason
Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Dawn of War II
Devil May Cry 4
D.I.R.T. 2 (DirectX 11)
Dungeons & Dragon's Online: Stormreach
Far Cry 2 (DirectX 10.1)
Flight Simulator X (DirectX 10.1)
Flight Simulator X :Accelerator
Gears of War
Global Agenda (Feb. 2010)
Hellgate London
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (DirectX 10.1)
Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (update)
Lost Planet:Extreme Condition
Mafia II (May 2010)
Necrovision
Prince of Persia
PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Rise of the Argonauts
Shadowrun
Shattered Horizon
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (DirectX 10.1)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (DirectX 11)
Stormrise (DirectX 10/10.1 only)
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (DirectX 10.1)
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Unreal Tournament 3
World in Conflict
World in Conflict: Soviet Assault

Upcoming games with no firm release date other than 2010 include : They, Race Driver: GRID 2, F1 2010, Metro 2033, Stargate Worlds, Guild Wars 2, Arcania: A Gothic Tale etc...

Buying an OS new.
No brainer - Windows 7 x64 Home Edition

Damn!.......Are you a hardcore gamer? Or did you just copy and paste all this from another site?

If this was true than I didn't really know there was alot that support or need DirectX10/11 to play....hmmmmm...........Is a shame that XP can't play any of those :( Not that I like any of them, they sound boring but they must've got really nice graphics though!

Damn!.......Are you a hardcore gamer? Or did you just copy and paste all this from another site?

If this was true than I didn't really know there was alot that support or need DirectX10/11 to play....hmmmmm...........Is a shame that XP can't play any of those :( Not that I like any of them, they sound boring but they must've got really nice graphics though!

All of the games listed except one are playable with DirectX 9.0c so are playable using XP. This is just a list of games that have DX10 and DX11 support.

Am I a hardcore gamer -Yes and No. In this instance I just hooked into a Games database and cross referenced games that had DX10 and DX11 support and added in games I know are being released in the near future.
Not rocket science.

All of the games listed except one are playable with DirectX 9.0c so are playable using XP. This is just a list of games that have DX10 and DX11 support.

Am I a hardcore gamer -Yes and No. In this instance I just hooked into a Games database and cross referenced games that had DX10 and DX11 support and added in games I know are being released in the near future.
Not rocket science.

So your saying all those except for one can play on a computer running XP? So they all support 10 and 11 but can still play on a system using 9? hmmmm..........interesting........... :slurp:

Yeh. sweet i am sticking with XP for the moment, until directx 10 & 11 become more fluent and more games get developed with those versions.

Oh and a question...What version of Directx does the call of duty range support???

Yeh. sweet i am sticking with XP for the moment, until directx 10 & 11 become more fluent and more games get developed with those versions.

Oh and a question...What version of Directx does the call of duty range support???

Oh, yeah! :cool: In your face VISTA and 7! :p

Sorry had to do it, it was the moment!

hmmmmm......Have you played any COD series before? Why are so into COD? why not any sports game like the NFS series and other car racing games? I for one am not really into shooting type games, I'm more of RPG to Racing type guy now, I was into shooting, but that was long ago......

Because i like shooting games....i dnt really get any enjoment out of racing games.

And yes i have played COD seriesbefore. I own Call of Duty 4 Modernwarfare and Call of Duty World at War.

huh?

Because i like shooting games....i dnt really get any enjoment out of racing games.

And yes i have played COD seriesbefore. I own Call of Duty 4 Modernwarfare and Call of Duty World at War.

How could you not feel the excitement in racing games?

Well I don't really know much about COD but I'd have to guess DirectX 7 atleast. Don't know really know minimum DirectX to play one any of the COD series though. But it could be 7..... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back