TechSpot

What should I do, expert or informative help needed!

By Miias
Sep 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,
    I am having issues with my Desktop computer at the moment,
    I would love some advice as I am trying to upgrade my computer for more PC gaming some of my PC's specs include:
    - 64 bit running windows 7
    - Gigabyte motherboard GA-MA78GM-S2H
    - 6.00 GM Ram DDR2
    - AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
    - Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD6850 Graphics Accelerator GV-R685D5-1GD/GV-R685OC-1GC

Now i believe i need to upgrade my processor I was looking for an i5 possible but my question is would i need to update my motherboard and what price would i be looking at? also any additional advice would be great.

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

You would require new RAM, a new motherboard and of course the processor in order to change to a new chipset.

I would suggest you look at the Sandy Bridge LGA1155 platform, which is current. Your graphics card is perfectly fine for now, and will be in fine in a new setup as long as you aren't expecting to play at full HD resolution with the settings ramped on highest.

Given your spec you might also need a new case, and a new power supply. Your best to post your full system specifications, including your case, and your current power supply model and its total wattage.

You also need to set a realistic budget for those to best assist you.

3. Miias

Miias TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi thanks for a answer but I just got a new power supply put in as my old one burnt out, i believe its a Antec NEO ECO 620C (620Watt) , at the moment I have games in the lowest settings yet I still have terrible FPS.

My computer was custom built around 4 years ago and now I am just updating price wise im willing to spend $300-$400 or less if thats possible.

I tried to provide additional information, as for "a new case" i dont know what you mean? but I also added a Caviar Black 7200RPM Sata3 64MB Cashe 3.5"

I hope this helps

Attached Files:

4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

Checking out the motherboard CPU support list it looks like you can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 940 3GHz processor ($89.99 from Newegg) with your existing motherboard if you update it to the F7 BIOS. You can have a look at the performance comparision with the Anandtech Bench tool.

Upgrading to an Intel Processor would require a new motherboard (as your current motherboard is only for AMD processors). It all depends how much you wish to spend on upgrades. Intel i5 2500k processor is around $200 and a compatible motherboard can be had for around $70, 2 x 2GB DDR3 ram is about $30 cheapest. So you are looking at least $300 to switch to a new intel platform vs a reasonable upgrade to your AMD platform for around $90. Obviously the change to a new and current platform(i5 2500k vs Phenom II X4 940) is going to give the biggest improvement in performance, but you have to decide whether you wish to spend 3 times the money to gain that extra performance.

5. Miias

Miias TS Rookie Topic Starter

what is the F7 BIOS? I think I will go the $90 processor how hard would it be the change the processor?

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

BIOS (basic input/output system) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

F7 updated BIOS for your motherboard - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2758#bios
    Will be details on the Gigabyte website of how to update your BIOS version. Some can be done in Windows, others require a boot disk/CD which executes before the OS loads. There are a few different methods.

Video "How to install AMD AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPU + Cooler!" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZQgJDyzGI (just the first one I found, lots of others showing the process too)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.